Cona vacuum pot: grinder settings and choice of beans?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cona vacuum pot: grinder settings and choice of beans?

Postby calum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:20 pm

hi all,

my wonderful wife is buying me the Cona stove-top vac pot for my birthday :)

having never had one before, I have a couple of questions, please. that I haven't yet gleaned answers to from the forum...

o Anyone using a vac pot with a Dualit / Solis 166 grinder? What setting would be sensible? I've been using halfway for a filter-machine, and fully fine for my bialetti moka pot. would 1/4 be right for starting to experiment with the vac pot? i.e. halfway between the middle and coarse end?

o Anyone recommend beans (and an good online supplier) that work with with a vac pot? My preference is for a medium roast (and I've not yet got my Hottop :)

thanks much indeed for any comments.
calum

RE: Cona vacuum pot: grinder settings and choice of beans?

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:10 pm

First off, welcome to TMC and a very belated first post Calum :P

Yes, but ours is an eSantos, so it may differ. Generally though we use pretty much the middle setting (marked for filter) up to a couple of notches out towards the press pot setting :D

We (and many others round here) use the king of medium roasts here.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Cona vacuum pot: grinder settings and choice of bean

Postby calum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:35 pm

thanks very much for that; yes, I joined then went quiet for a while :)

thanks for the grinder tip; I'll use that as a start. How do you find the Santos? I looked at it, but I love the retro style of the Cona.

"king of medium roasts" at Hasbean? but which one of theirs is that? am I being dense? :(

thanks again
calum

RE: Re: RE: Cona vacuum pot: grinder settings and choice of

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:54 pm

Steve tends to roast on the medium side most of the time. The good thing about HasBean is that Steve roasts each bean type to its optimum profile to provide the best flavour so you don't need to worry about that. Take no notice of my throw away comment, any of the beans will be fab. Just choose something you like the look of or use the bean finder with the mini-Steve on the HB front page to select your preferences in flavour.

The eSantos is great, but I can't compare it to your Cona as I've never had a coffee from one of those. however, I suspect they are fairly similar in coffee production and both great. Your cona certainly does have that lovely retro style. Enjoy :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby calum » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:01 pm

ah sorry, I *was* being dense :)

I get it now: Steve is the King of Medium Roasts

thanks again, much appreciated.
Dualit/Solus 166
Bialetti moka - the basic ones
Cona stove-top vacuum pot - wonderful! :)
calum

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:03 pm

No worries. Dom will say it's my bad use of English :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Return to Other Brewing Methods