Suggestions for making a nice cup of coffee at work??

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Suggestions for making a nice cup of coffee at work??

Postby PhilSmith » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:39 pm

Hello all,

The espresso at home is going much better now, but the latte a i take to work with me is gone by 9:30. We have a "Java city" (read Costa copy) in the Canteen at work with a big fancy 3 group semi auto and the biggest Mazzer i have ever seen, but as seems to be the norm these days, no one appears to be able to use it properly, its not that bad and not high street prices (£1.00 for a 10oz cap) but its certanly no where near the stuff i am now producing at home with the Andreja and hasbeans finest.
Can you recommend some thing cheap and easy to use that i can brew a couple of cups with during the day. We have access to plugs for power but no hob so anything that needs direct heat will not be possible and i have a now redundant Solis grinder that i can use to gring the beans fresh?

Phil

some bean suggestions to go with it would also be helpful
Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini E
Espro Tamper
PhilSmith

RE: Suggestions for making a nice cup of coffee at work??

Postby kingseven » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Aeropress or Chemex for my money. Both quick and pretty clean too.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

RE: Suggestions for making a nice cup of coffee at work??

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:27 pm

Yup Aeropress or give them some lessons Phil :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby PhilSmith » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:05 pm

I'd love to jump over the counter and "show them how it really should be done" but when the beans look something like the photo below, i fear my time may be wasted. Its such a shame, they have spent a fortune on providing us with first class enviroment to chill-out in and meet with suppliers. The fixtures and fittings are top class the equipment is also top notch but the beans and the training stinks. I stood this morning and watched them put a single dose in a double basket, tamp at about 45degrees to the counter top, steam the milk for what must have been atleast the 3rd time, and then make a 12 oz latte with it all. The drink if split would have taken skin off it ws that hot. I'm not sure what is worse thou, watching them balls it up so badly or watching my work collegue's nood with approval thinking that this is what real Espresso tastes like!!!!!!!

Phil
Attachments
14-474f-s.jpg
14-474f-s.jpg (99.78 KiB) Viewed 9953 times
Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini E
Espro Tamper
PhilSmith

Postby bruceb » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:58 pm

This is the only kit you need for those beans.
Attachments
expressomachine.jpg
expressomachine.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 9946 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby DC » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Hey Phil

Glad to hear things on the home espresso front are going better now. If you don't mind me asking, what made the improvement in the end? (sorry if I missed it, haven't been around for a while)
Dave
DC

Postby PhilSmith » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:11 pm

DC wrote:Hey Phil

Glad to hear things on the home espresso front are going better now. If you don't mind me asking, what made the improvement in the end? (sorry if I missed it, haven't been around for a while)

I have unfortunatly been out of action for a while with a burst disc in my neck, i have been of work for the last 5 weeks. So my days have been filled with $hit daytime TV and making coffee!!!

I'll post an update on the original thread, as your probably not the only one interested in how its gone.

Cheers

Phil
Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini E
Espro Tamper
PhilSmith

Postby technojock » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm

I posted a question along similar lines a while back, most replies recommended I drink tea. That said, I didn't have access to a grinder, so I envy you. Personally I'd go for the Aeropress. You can put pretty much whatever beans you like into it & it'll turn out a mighty fine cuppa.

Wish I had a grinder at work. It's the noise that's the problem, I'm in an open plan office.

Good to hear you've recovered enough to be allowed back at work, btw.
: Heatgun / Dualit / French Press / Aeropress :
technojock

Postby AndyM » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:51 pm

Aeropress, or a french press.
AndyM

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:18 am

Because I have a reflux problem I can normally only drink espresso and espresso-based drinks. One cup of filter coffee, even made from good, fresh beans causes me unpleasant gastric pain.

Lukas recently made me a cup of coffee with the Aeropress (15g coffee and 92°water, I believe) using a gold filtre and it was delicious, even though Lukas assured me the beans weren't really all that special (I've forgotten what they were). I brought an Aeropress back from my visit to HB and haven't gotten around to trying it here, but I definitely will now. I didn't have any gastric discomfort, but that may just have been luck.

All of that to say I would very much recommend the Aeropress. All you need are the press itself, ground beans (you can grind them in the morning and take them with you. The grind should be coarser than for espresso, but finer than for filtre) and an electric water heater. Oh, a cup is nice, too. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:48 am

Hopefully you'll be okay with the Aeropress Bruce. I sometimes get a gripey stomach from filter coffee but have never had any problems with espresso style Aeropress preparations.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Other Brewing Methods