Huge crema in my moka pot!

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Huge crema in my moka pot!

Postby Terje » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm on to something!

I take less water in the pot, sicne you can't take more coffee, in order to get a stronger brew.

Now, with my own "espresso blend", freshly roasted (right from the frying pan type of fresh) and my smallest moka pot that makes only one cup I just got the fattest crema I've ever seen in a moka pot before (and I've seen a few... ). It filled more than half the top part of the pot!

Best tasting cup of moka I've had in my life so far. I'll be able to beat it soon I think...
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Terje » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:46 pm

I just outdid myself...

Took some Monsooned Malabaar beans this time, a bean that generally doesn't give much of a crema in a moka pot.

I had to scoup it out with a spoon! :shock:
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby lukas » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:26 pm

I want I want ... cool stuff!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:38 pm

You know, that's what I discovered with freshly roasted beans, too. Whether espresso or moka pot I get lots of "crema" and a nice, sparkling taste. I'm sure it's the CO2 that's set free by roasting, but not yet escaped into the atmosphere. Somewhere I have a picture of a 2 oz shot that is frothy from top to bottom. I'll have to look for it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby leecb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Don't you guys worry about global warming :lol: :lol:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Olings » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:28 am

...but if they drink it before the CO2 has a chance to escape, the earth is saved and the warming not globally only bodily. They sacrifice their bodies for the sake of the planet and a cup of wonderful coffee. (I hope I spelled this right. Wouldn't want to get hunted down by the spelling police AKA The English Inquisition AKA Dom.)

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby BazBean » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:01 am

Olings wrote:...but if they drink it before the CO2 has a chance to escape,

Ola

What goes IN must come OUT ?!!
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Terje » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 pm

bruceb wrote:You know, that's what I discovered with freshly roasted beans, too. Whether espresso or moka pot I get lots of "crema" and a nice, sparkling taste. I'm sure it's the CO2 that's set free by roasting, but not yet escaped into the atmosphere. Somewhere I have a picture of a 2 oz shot that is frothy from top to bottom. I'll have to look for it.

Whatever this "crema" consists of it is in any case a sure sign that the coffe in the cup is as good as it can ever be when made in a moka pot.
Terje

Postby zix » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:36 pm

How much less water do you take, Terje? Wonder if this gives the same results as my "stop early" method... perhaps not quite.
However, I did a blend of yirgacheffe/old java yesterday, pushed it through the aeropress. That too was exceedingly rich, in bloom. Tasted heavenly. Something in the air, perhaps?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Terje » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:13 am

Maybe it's 15% less, maybe 20%. I don't really measure it, I just estimate.

The result is a stronger brew, more intense.

What's this aeropress?
Terje

Postby zix » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks! I also estimate, I think I use about 30% less when I stop early.
The aeropress? It is a lot like a press pot, but much better. http://aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm
In sweden, the "Kaffemaskinen" stores in Sthlm and Gbg sell it. Ugly, but the coffee tastes good. There is also a sticky about it in this forum, as you may have noticed.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby Terje » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Hey, read this part about the aeropress:

"4. To make a regular American cup of coffee using an AeroPress, you basically brew an espresso and then dilute it with hot water. Why not run a whole cup of water through the press?

We tried just that. But again, in blind-tasting tests everyone said that the coffee tasted smoother when made by our recommended method. Pushing too much water through the coffee extracts bitterness."

Maybe that's what we're on to when using less water in the moka pot!
Terje

Postby zix » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:43 pm

Absolutely, I would guess it is the exact same thing happening. Brews on the virge of underextraction do taste good in many coffee machines, even electric filter brewers...
zix

Postby lukas » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:55 pm

If you try the aeropress, forget the instructions. They're rubbish (partly) :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby MarkA » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:34 pm

Terje - have just tried your 'less water' technique in the moka pot and impressed with the results.

Have never really been a fan of my moka pot - but this has produced better results and has encouraged me to experiment a bit more with it - thanks
MarkA

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods