Brewing techinque sumup/comparison?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby wvb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:36 pm

I like pictures too, makes it easier for my brain :)

so the vac is what I heard of as cona

is this method the one that makes the tastiest pot of coffee?
Expobar Brewtus II
Mazzer Mini E Type A
wvb

Postby phil2spill » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:42 pm

wvb wrote:filtered through paper meaning a regular coffeemachine?
is this what you call drip coffee?
if so, to me it seems the coffee starts to taste different after beïng in the thermos for a while (stronger, less tasty)

Yes, 'drip' in North America, 'filter' in the UK. Unfortunately almost all automatic filter machines do not use hot enough water to brew. Technivorm are the only domestic machine AFAIK to brew filter coffee properly, which you probably already know since they are made nearby in the Netherlands . . .

Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby zix » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:06 pm

The aeropress, infamous, indeed? It is ugly, but I think it makes good coffee. I would use the aeropress. It will take about two full aeropresses to fill up a 75cl thermos, but extraction is quick once the water is hot and the coffee is ground.

Edit: I should perhaps add that I used to fill a 0.5 litre thermos with freshly roasted and ground moka pot coffee... took some time, three or four brews I think. A bit time consuming, but definitely worth it on those long tiring drives. Even lukewarm or almost cold, that moka beat the sh_t out of any truck stop coffee cleg. Nowadays, I bring the aeropress and the turkish grinder instead. The grinder fits inside the aeropress, and we bring hot water in a thermos anyway, since my wife drinks mostly tea. Works great.
Last edited by zix on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby zix » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:18 pm

is this method the one that makes the tastiest pot of coffee?

Depends on who you ask. I like vac pot, aeropress, moka and brikka (a moka pot with more pressure). Perhaps turkish too, but I haven't tasted a real turkish brew yet. All these pots are comparatively cheap, so if you buy one and it isn't good enough for you, you can try another next month. Well... the Cona vac pot is a bit expensive, but not compared to an espresso machine.
The only thing you should avoid is buying an electric filter brew machine. Except for the Technivorms of course - well, that´s what people say. But they cost as much as, or more than, the Cona vac pots.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby wvb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:24 pm

got me a delonghi retro electric filter machine because it looked good in our kitchen :)
never did manage to get a tasty cup

is there a big difference between the moka and brikka in brewing/taste/looks of coffee ?
from what I've read on their site it adds crema.. is this any good
if I understand correctly it's "fake" crema
Expobar Brewtus II
Mazzer Mini E Type A
wvb

Postby zix » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:26 pm

wvb wrote:is there a big difference between the moka and brikka in brewing/taste/looks of coffee ?

Yes. It is a taste of its own. Not necessarily stronger, but different. The crema isn't fake! But it is not as long lasting as espresso crema, since the pressure is much lower (4 bars or so).
zix

Postby wvb » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:16 am

think I'm gonna get me a moka express for starters..
it comes in various cup sizes, would a 6 cup one be enough? (dunno how much they mean by a cup)
Expobar Brewtus II
Mazzer Mini E Type A
wvb

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods