Napoletano flip pot

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Napoletano flip pot

Postby Aadje » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:23 pm

My mom got me an old copper napoletano flip pot. It's looks nice :)
anyone got some experience whith those?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Joris » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:43 pm

What's that then ? pictures please :)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Aadje » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:11 pm

similar to this:
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Joris » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:20 pm

aahh.. ok.. am i mistaken if i think they're mokapots ? ;)

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby lukas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:03 am

Yes, you are :)
But they work similar: Water in the lower part, coffee in the middle. Put the upper part on top and everything on the stove. When the water boils, take from stove and turn the pot around - filtration begins. When it's finished, you can screw off the now upper part, put the lid on and pour. But don't ask me how that coffee tastes like, I never tried it, would like to, though.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Joris » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:46 am

Ok... interesting. The taste is probably different from mokapot ? (maybe more like drip ?) I imagine it to be a bit less harsh because in a mokapot the boiling water is forced through the "puck" and in this case its like a pour-on drip....

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby Aadje » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:14 am

I read on wikipedia that (besideds drip coffee) a dark roasted fine ground gives good results.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Slimboyfat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:01 am

I've bought an old one of these for my wife for Christmas - sparked from reading about one in a novel. I'm looking forward to trying it - the fact that you can control the water temp seems good, but I too have been wondering about how fine a grind to use??

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby lukas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:08 am

Hm. Theoretically a bit finer than filter-fine. It is a filtration method without pressure, and I would guess that such a grind will allow correct filtration times ... but this is a guess out of the blue.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Andretti » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:23 pm

Slimboyfat wrote:I've bought an old one of these for my wife for Christmas - sparked from reading about one in a novel. I'm looking forward to trying it - the fact that you can control the water temp seems good, but I too have been wondering about how fine a grind to use??

How do you control it? Seems difficult... What are the tell tales?
Now: Fiorenzato Bricoletta plumbed in with rotary, Mazzer Mini M, Cappuccinolover: Barbera Classica with goat milk! Before: Fiorenzato Bricoletta tank,La Pavoni Espresso Lusso, Gaggia MDF
Andretti

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:58 pm

Aadje wrote
My mom got me an old copper napoletano flip pot.

You asked for a Faema E91 Preisident and got a flip pot? My coffee book has 2 pages devoted to the Neapolitan, I'll stick it in the scanner and send a PM attachment later.
It suggests filter fine grind but then goes on to state that the holes in the filter may vary, depending on the country of manufacture.
It's sometimes referred to as a 'Macchinetta' in North America and occasionally on some models, when the flip is done, a small stream of water may arch out of the tiny steam vent.
It states ' be generous with the amount of coffee you load into the basket. If the load is too small, the water will zip too fast thru' the filter and proper extraction, won't take place.' The article is a general guide and not much 'meat' for the geek, but I'll fax it to you later.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Slimboyfat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 am

I've bought an old one of these for my wife for Christmas - sparked from reading about one in a novel. I'm looking forward to trying it - the fact that you can control the water temp seems good, but I too have been wondering about how fine a grind to use??

Hi all

Christmas pressie unwrapped and we've tried it a few times now.

Our one is pretty old - I'd guess 1920s or so.

It has an internal basket with holes in it, as you'd expect, but it also has an additional two disks with holes, that screw together around the coffee (I'm not explaining this very well, will post a pick maybe) - is this the same as others?

The advantage of this, is that you can actually exert some pressure on the grounds to compact them before the water hits, resulting in a pretty solid puck at the end of it all.

I stuck to a pretty fine grind and used a fair amount of coffee, boiled a kettle and then filled the top up and put everything together.

I waited a couple of minutes to let the temp cool a bit. Once flipped, the water took about 3 minutes to drip through.

I have to say that the results were lovely, much cleaner than the french press, nice and strong. I think that a bit of experimentation with the grind is in order, to get the optimum drip time.

How have you got on Aaadje?

Regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby Aadje » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:55 am

the thing is still standing at my parents place, didnt have the chance to pick it yet. So didnt experiment yet . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby FuzzFace » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:59 am

Quentin - I'd love to see those scans as well :)

Any chance of putting them in the download section?
cherio, Martin
Mug, beans, hot water, no grinder and now?
FuzzFace

Postby Kaz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Whoopee!! At last the old flip pot has its moment of glory! My grandmother, mother and I have always used these machines.
cumberpach wrote:
It suggests filter fine grind but then goes on to state that the holes in the filter may vary, depending on the country of manufacture.

' be generous with the amount of coffee you load into the basket. If the load is too small, the water will zip too fast thru' the filter and proper extraction, won't take place.'

Absolutely right. the non-specificity of advice is about as specific as you'll get - there are too many variables. See pics of two of my machines and you'll see what I mean. The best you can do is as Slimboyfat and experiment. Good luck!
Kaz

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods