How do I clean my Anfim?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How do I clean my Anfim?

Postby trumpetboy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:17 pm

The burrs, doser and chute seem to get stale grounds on them every time I run beans through it. At the moment I'm cleaning it out after using it with a handheld vacuum cleaner which gets rid of most, but not all of the grounds.

Will having some stale grounds in the crevices taint the coffee flavour? I think I've noticed a difference after buying the vaccum cleaner, but can't be sure. The machine still smells of stale coffee, although it's not as bad as it was before.
Prima PCM002 popcorn popper
Anfim Super Lusso
Aeropress
trumpetboy

Postby RobC » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:17 pm

It's a tough one this, I know the Hardcore advocate strip down on a daily basis, but I hate to confess my MC2 goes for weeks without even seeing a hoover - and trying to get the burrs off for a good clean - well if I had loads of spare time then....

I personally think this more goes down to personal taste then a set law - if I swap beans then I grind a good 20g and bin before actually using the coffee, if it is sat for a few days but I am using the same bean blend then I will do a sacrificial shot that will be binned before I start using it for drinkable shots.

For me I have tried the absolute clean, and compared it to my own grind through clearance, and I really lack the ability to taste the difference - I know it is there, but I do not have sufficent senses to taste it.

If you really want to ensure you clear all stale grounds, but don't want to do a full strip down for every drink, why not try having a reserve stash of coffee you run through prior to your chosen blend as a "sacrifical coffee", I've used Colombian before as I find it pretty neutral but you could choose an origin to your own personal taste?
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Return to Other Brewing Methods