How do you use your SwissGold one cup thing ?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:46 pm

Like Bassclef, I don't like the solids you end up with in cafetiere /frenchpress coffee. Maybe the solution is to make up a pot of cafetiere and then run it through the swissgold to take out the mud !
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby lukas » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Phil, regarding the too cool water. Do you put the lid on the filter during extraction? This helps keeping the water hot. But even without, my SwissGold'ed coffee is still too hot to swallow a mouthful (after a 2-3min filtering). If I sip it, it's just about right ...
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Joris » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:42 pm

Tried the swissgold again today (at my parents who unfortunately don't want to buy a Brewtus or something for those irregular times I visit them ;)) and was surprised. I used around 10g of beans, ground in a Zass, quite a bit finer than I'd use for a presspot. Boiled water, let it cool off just a bit and poured it in the water dispenser. By pulling the dispencer a bit up a little water gets sucked into the coffee (call it pre-infusion if you want ;)) and after that just placed the cover on top and waited.

It was Granny Bertha's coffee, the entire process took me over 3 minutes and the result was divine, no solids in the cup just liquid black gold :) The taste was not unlike the taste of the same coffee in a vacpot.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:44 pm

That's Granny Bertha for you though. Think Steve and I are trying to get her to adopt us :D The we could go and spend our summers on her farm :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:48 pm

gouezeri wrote:That's Granny Bertha for you though. Think Steve and I are trying to get her to adopt us :D The we could go and spend our summers on her farm :D

But you already adopted me daddy .... where does that leave us? :shock: :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:36 am

Madonna said she wanted you back, dunno why, which clearly goes to show she's as mad as you said!
Madder still is using a swiss gold instead of an aeropress. The only good reason for using FP instead of an AP is when brewing for lots of people... can't think of any good reasons for using a SG, other than the fact they are cheap. Or am I missing something?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:29 am

Nope you are certainly not Ollie .... vac-pot for many, AP for one is my opinion :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm

And SwissGold for the filter lovers. I think they don't make such a bold cup that filter lovers don't like in the french press, but still giving many of the finer flavours that the french press sometimes shades in it's boldness.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby al_bongo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:03 am

Bit slow on the uptake here, but wanted to share my experience with this product.

Find that if I use the plastic insert it takes well in excess of 5 mins for water to filter through grounds, even when using the coarsest setting on my Barista/Dualit grinder. Coffee produced can be on the bitter side but drinkable.

Have tried it without the plastic insert and a finer grind, which is I think how an article on filter coffee on coffeegeek describes how to use it. Invariably water pours virtually straight through the filter giving a mug of undrinkable browinish liquid (and a mess on my desk at work). Tried pouring water slowly, but reckon it needs the insert to disperse the water.

Frustrating because I feel if I could get a brew time of 3 or 4 mins this could be good cup of coffee.
al_bongo

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods