Vac pot?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:45 pm

In the Bodum outlet shop today was the Santos, model 3004 (see link above), reduced from £60 to £35. They have a few in stock if anyone is interested.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby HughF » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:32 am

I grabbed one! £35 + £9 P&P, to ship Tuesday, arrive Wednesday/Thursday. Their phone number is 01869 321 209 in case anyone else is interested.

Many thanks CakeBoy,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby zix » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:51 pm

Good for you, Hugh! I begin to wish I had one too. But then I would probably want a Cona, of course. Oh, thou wonderful world of coffee.
Last edited by zix on Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:58 pm

HughF wrote:I grabbed one! £35 + £9 P&P, to ship Tuesday, arrive Wednesday/Thursday. Their phone number is 01869 321 209 in case anyone else is interested.

Many thanks CakeBoy,

Hugh

Excellent. Well done Hugh! I didn't think to ask if they would deliver and had visions of a number of trips to the Post Office with rather large boxes :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby HughF » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks. I tried Steve's helpful suggestion of using the smaller eSantos jug on the larger eSantos base today - it proved that the smaller jug was duff, not its base. As all wires look intact in the bottom of the jug and the multimeter agrees, it's probably the soldered-in white blocky gizmo that's broken so it's a loser. Just as well you posted...

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:54 pm

Well it's near Christmas so Murphy's Law states that everyones' household appliances will start to fail during the expensive run up to the festive season. Our tumble dryer passed on today and I expect various other items to follow it like lemmings on a cliff edge :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Walter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:41 pm

*bump*

I just got a Cona pot and have read the instructions that came with it as well as Tom's tipsheet at SMs. I think I figured how it works, but what irritates me some is the remark

Never allow the coffee maker to infuse for any length of time as this could result in the bowl collapsing

I may be a little dense here, but could anyone pls elaborate what to make of that sentence?
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby bruceb » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:16 pm

This means you put it on a shelf and look at it. It's a nice decoration. Image

Sorry, I'm being silly, but the sentence sounds to me like something got lost in the translation.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby AlanP » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Obviously a typo.
Should read 'bowel' not 'bowl'
Alan...Image
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:54 pm

AlanP wrote:Obviously a typo.
Should read 'bowel' not 'bowl'
Alan...Image

Now you're just being irritable :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:39 pm

Walter wrote
Never allow the coffee maker to infuse for any length of time as this could result in the bowl collapsing

Someone has a sence of humour. Obviously a partial vacuum is created in the lower bowl, but never enough to collapse it.
My folks had the electric version of the Cona during the late 60's. The heater had a chromed dog-bowl shaped base and an exposed heating element coil. If this model had survived, I guess it would be quite collectable nowadays.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Walter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:58 pm

bruceb wrote:This means you put it on a shelf and look at it. It's a nice decoration. Image

Well, it might end up just as that. :lol:

Sorry, I'm being silly, but the sentence sounds to me like something got lost in the translation.

Hmmmm ... the sentence is from the original instruction sheet that came with it from Cona Ltd UK (in English, of course), hence I'm not sure it has been translated at all. And as the sentence is printed in bold typeface I was assuming it might be of importance...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby quink » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:56 am

I wouldnt worry too much, in normal use it will probably never happen. It was probably put in as a "get out" if someone breaks one in use.
But from the way its worded, its not the boiling stage that I think they mean. the vacuum only comes in to play after the cona has been removed from the heat, until that point there's a larger pressure inside than out, hence the movement of water. The more air that bubbles out after the water the larger the vacuum will be, as long as it doesn't clog I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy it.
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods