Aerobie Aeropress - first impressions

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:51 am

I am tempted by the metal filter - though the problem is that rarely woud I drink the same coffee twice, as I would rob what I needed from whatever was lying around.

I have to say - this Guat I am drinking (must find out what it is) is really, really good through this little toy. Lovely body, chocolate and nice balanced fruit tones all coming though. Very balanced, light and pleasing.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby scook94 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:08 am

Steem21 wrote:.... I just hope I remember to fish out the metal filter from the bin when I'm using it!

I find that this only happens when I dump the grounds immediatley, fortunately I'm lazy enough that I rarely remember to do this. If the grounds have been sitting in the filter for a few hours and have dried out somewhat then the metal filter tends to stay put....
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby Steem21 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:40 am

scook94 wrote:I find that this only happens when I dump the grounds immediatley, fortunately I'm lazy enough that I rarely remember to do this.

Ha. I dump the filter immediately 'cos the Aerobie is too easy to use. Maybe I should take the laid back approach to dumping the grounds... :)
La Spaziale Vivaldi II, Mazzer Mini E, Aerobie Aeropress
Steem21

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:17 am

So come on then you metal filter users - what differences have you noticed?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:38 am

If you cut the filter right then it stays in the plastic holder anyway so don’t worry about throwing it away.

I've found myself playing with both filters to try and work out the differences. I think the metal one makes it a little cleaner again and defines the tastes some. I also like to wear sandals and think I'm doing my bit for mother earth :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:26 pm

OK I finally succumb to an Aerobie so i thought I may as well add my insignificant opinion. :) Firstly my thanks to Cakey for sorting me one out when I was away, the Missus was despairing, but I went ahead and had it delivered... ;)

So what was my first impression??? Well I last saw something like this in the 5th year at school, but I was put off. I had taken 250g of Bolivian Santa Fe to roast in the Whirley whilst away (That is a whole other story!!! :D) Anyway I put a double through and my goodness!!! I was surprised at how clean the cup was. I know you lot had ranted on about this but I was sceptical. I am so glad I was proved wrong in this!!!! I took my a while to sort the grind out and if you could have seen me on my first attempt, standing over the aerobie in the blistering sun, exerting all my strenth down onto it, wondering if the melamine beaker would hold...LOL...what a sight I was!!!!

Anyway, I like it, the Missus likes it (An awful lot actually, she really, really likes it), my daughter likes it and thinks it is funny...

I am going to butcher a French Pres tomorrow to try a metal filter.

I am convinced that the Aerobie makes a great tool for cupping various beans as it really does give a clean taste.

So thanks Cakey & Steve, Oh and thanks to the mad B&B owner!!!!

Matt

PS I like sandles too Steve ;)
espressomattic

Postby scook94 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:31 pm

Not sure if the metal filter from an FP is ideal, especially compared to the Swiss Gold. Be sure to report back on how it fares...
scook94

Postby espressomattic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:44 pm

Well it will do as a stop gap and is worth experimenting, heck what is there to loose??? :D

Matt
espressomattic

Postby scook94 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:06 pm

espressomattic wrote:Well it will do as a stop gap and is worth experimenting, heck what is there to loose??? :D

Matt

How did it work out?
scook94

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:22 pm

Haven't had a chance to experiment yet...Gene problems to sort first, plus i left the Aerobie at work....Doh!!!! I have penciled it in for Friday so will update then.

By the way the chaps at work wondered why I had brought a breast pump in...the somone suggested it actually looked like another sort of pump that one would use (so I am told ;) ) to 'enlarge' oneself!!!! :shock: :shock:

Hmmm.... :roll: :wink:

Matt
espressomattic

Postby leecb » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:33 pm

I would ask them how they would be knowing such a thing if I was you??
What do you guys get up to on night shift when the villains are all at home in bed?? :shock:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Beanie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:48 pm

leecb wrote:What do you guys get up to on night shift when the villains are all at home in bed?? :shock:

Are you sure you really want to know that, Leigh? :shock:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:50 pm

Best not ask really Lee. Also I would prefer not to ask my fellow officers as I may have to arrest them given the answers I can here them making....
espressomattic

Postby leecb » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:55 pm

You're probably right,
Or you could tell them it's a new device for making suspects talk :shock:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:00 pm

*Ouch*!!! LOL
espressomattic