Aerobie Aeropress - first impressions

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Wed May 31, 2006 8:23 pm

Lot of love to Steven for his kind donation of a Swiss gold. I love TMC for the generosity of friends here.

First impressions. I sit here with cup of Nicaraguan COE which is even better with the metal filter. Seems a little shaper and bigger in the cup and has the body that can get lost with the paper filters. Must do a side by side but my initial impressions are its an improvement. Which begs the question why aren’t Aerobie doing them as standard. It also allows a much finer grind as I dialled this one right down.

NB some kind of gloves are an idea whilst cutting the filter I'm picking little bits of metal out my fingers as I type :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:32 pm

As I understand it Alan Adler has read the report that the oils in coffee adversely affect cholesterol. I find his decision not to release the metal filter based on his beliefs about cholesterol infuriating! :x
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby scook94 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:34 pm

P.S. glad you got the filter! :D
scook94

Postby Paul L » Wed May 31, 2006 8:43 pm

Back on topic a bit if I may so stock Aerobie and paper filters. Bought it from Steve for taking ot the office, decided to practise first as it's bad enough being seen as a geek anyway for not using the spoon and jar or the 'good' stuff outside the office at Char..., Costa, Nero, Republic et al, yes they're all here!

So, used it last Saturday, worked out how it worked on supermarket ground. Yuk, Aerobie clearly said garbage in-garbage out.

Whittard ground next for my first day of using it in the office, amazed at the smoothness and cleanliness, no grit and grime in the cup, no bitterness, I agree with the positive comments.

I move onto home roast next but as with the Whittard I am pushing against so much resistance that I ffear the cup is going to go flying. I back off and press, back off and press, back off and press and this seems to work, I get a kind of espresso bubble coming through the filter for the last inch of travel. Results just fine but I come to the conclusion that either the grind is too fine, that it should work like this or that this is why a metal filter will be better than paper.

Early days for me but I would like to learn more from any comments on the above. Oh, and I think rather than strange geek looks people are walking aorund the office a bit scared because this chap seems to know more about coffee than they thought there was to know. Word is spreading and those who I have allowed to try the results have been stunned.
Paul L

Postby scook94 » Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 pm

As regards pushing against the pressure, what grind are you using and have you tried a coarser grind? Also, the SwissGold lets water through much more easily even at espresso level grinds and therefore is easier to press, might be an option...?

Steven
scook94

Postby Steve » Wed May 31, 2006 10:57 pm

I have also found its much easier to press with the swiss gold
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Paul L » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:07 am

So, the Swiss Gold is 3-dimensional as far I can see i.e. it sits in the top of a cup (or it's holder).

Do I take it that the surface area of the two sides (one or two gold filter pieces presumably) held within the overall plastic frame is cut to form the metal Aerobie filter? Does this mean breaking open a Swiss Gold and then flattening out the gold filter or just laying it down and using a paper filter as the template with a scalpel or sharp knife? Does the new gold filter have sharp edges after cutting which need to be treated with care?

Questions, questions but I've not actually seen a Swiss Gold in the flesh.
Paul L

Postby Captain_Crema » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Have ordered one of these from HasBean and it arrived today. First cup tomorrow AM. Will report.
Captain_Crema

Postby scook94 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Paul L wrote:So, the Swiss Gold is 3-dimensional as far I can see i.e. it sits in the top of a cup (or it's holder).

Do I take it that the surface area of the two sides (one or two gold filter pieces presumably) held within the overall plastic frame is cut to form the metal Aerobie filter? Does this mean breaking open a Swiss Gold and then flattening out the gold filter or just laying it down and using a paper filter as the template with a scalpel or sharp knife? Does the new gold filter have sharp edges after cutting which need to be treated with care?

Questions, questions but I've not actually seen a Swiss Gold in the flesh.

I used a pair of scissors that had a sharp point to cut away one side of the filter, then used a paper one as a template to cut a circle out of the gold "sheet".

Because of the "herring-bone" pattern of the gold filter you do have to be careful of the edges but I managed it without any mishaps....

Steven
scook94

Postby Captain_Crema » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:14 pm

OK, have unpacked it, washed it and made a first cup.

Funny thing was the temperature of the water - it suggests 80 degrees C but I thought the preferred temp for espresso was 90...?

So, I've made a cup at 90, dead strong, added some milk 'cause it was a bit bitter and it's really tasty & smooth. No foul grinding dust in the bottom. I wouldn't use it for espresso type coffee as it won't let the crema through but for a normal cup it beats a cafetiere hands down. And it cleans really easily.

I agree it looks too industrial but it seems to me to be a good design. As in "form follows function". Anyway, the result's in the taste. A pity I can't make another cup but it's too late in the day and I don't want to be crawling off the ceiling all night. :shock:

I will be taking it on holiday with me (with preground coffee - sorry guys can't fit a grinder in the suitcase as well) next week, it really is that good.

Thanks to HasBean for the quick dispatch!

:D Me = Happy bunny.

On the subject of grinding dust, what do you think to the idea of packing a paper filter in the bottom of a normal portafilter in an espresso machine? I'm going to try it...
Captain_Crema

Postby Paul L » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:30 pm

The part I like the most is that I take my own ground coffee into my office and I load the filter and coffee at my own desk meaning walk to the kitchen with just a cup, a loaded Aerobie and the 'plunger' piece. I make the coffee, rinse, clean and dry the tubes and put them together and again return to my office pretty light of things to carry. It really is incredibly convenient.

It does seem to respond to the GI-GO principle and the result is so smooth, no bitterness at all.

The bad bit is that I can see me buying more than one as there's no way I'm visiting friends and family and drinking their coffee-substitutes when I can conveniently take my own! Thankfully, folk are not as offended as they might be if you turn up with your own food, espeically if you get others hooked onto making them one of yours...
Paul L

Postby zix » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:35 am

Captain_Crema wrote:On the subject of grinding dust, what do you think to the idea of packing a paper filter in the bottom of a normal portafilter in an espresso machine? I'm going to try it...

Normally I would say "change the burrs", as this is usually the problem. Unless your grinder suffers from the same problem as mine - I am not quite sure what it is, but it ain't the burrs. Might be the bearings, perhaps.
In any case, good luck with the paper :) maybe it works! :roll:
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Captain_Crema » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:24 am

It's a La Pavoni "Jolly" grinder (although it looks more industrial than jolly).
Captain_Crema

Postby zix » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:41 am

he he. New burrs then?
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby scook94 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:24 am

According to the thread on CoffeeGeek Alan Adler has some new prototype metal filters on order for testing, so there is the chance that by popular demand they will be releasing the much sought after metal filter! :D
scook94

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods