Aerobie Aeropress - first impressions

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Thanks for the info guys, it sounds perfect for the boat. I'll probably leave the Aeropress, my Zassenhaus and Aerolatte milk spinner thingey on board, as a thankyou to my bruv and s.i.l. for the holiday - sometime in September.
I assume it's tweak-proof? No heating/cooling flushes, hmmm pity. I'll just have to setle for a sticker "You are now entering a rotary pump free zone, me hearties" ....... pure bliss.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby scook94 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:57 pm

cumberpach wrote:I assume it's tweak-proof? No heating/cooling flushes, hmmm pity. I'll just have to setle for a sticker "You are now entering a rotary pump free zone, me hearties" ....... pure bliss.
QC

Pretty much, once you're settled on amount of water/beans/grind you prefer. I keep hearing about a metal filter option which may or may not be released. I hope it does as I'm not 100% sold on paper filters being the best solution...
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby theDirector » Fri May 05, 2006 1:47 pm

Just tried my aeropress - really suprised by the rich flavoured results, smooth and delicious...I've always struggled on location and found myself going without coffee all day... this and a gas stove for the water make perfect sense.
theDirector

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun May 07, 2006 10:21 pm

scook94 wrote
I keep hearing about a metal filter option which may or may not be released. I hope it does as I'm not 100% sold on paper filters being the best solution...

Cross-pondians are cutting the metal filter from a 'Braun Gold ' see last post on this thread :-
http://tinyurl.com/egdsj
Quentin
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:26 pm

Yup I had seen that, I get frustrated to read that Alan Adler won't release the metal filter he has because he has concerns about coffee oils and cholesterol.... That would open up a bigger debate than the Aerobie thread on coffeegeek... :(
scook94

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sun May 07, 2006 10:38 pm

scook wrote
Yup I had seen that, I get frustrated to read that Alan Adler won't release the metal filter

Yup2, AA got into trouble for using the word 'espresso' in the Apress blurb. Ironically, there are at least 2 schools of thought as to the true definition of espresso.
School One. Meaning 'pressed out' via steam pressure.
School Two. Meaning , 'made expressly for you'.
Anyhoo, getting back OT, Steve. You have a 'Swiss Gold' filter, perhaps you could cut a hole in this? Assume Braun Gold and Swiss Gold are the same material?
Quentin
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Steve » Sun May 07, 2006 10:43 pm

I've had to stop reading those posts on coffee geek. I think Alan's beating his head up against a brick wall at coffee geek. So many people are on his back about it not producing espresso. OK I suppose it doesn't but if were using the argument that’s been banded about neither are most of the home machines under £100 ish pounds and neither do mocha pots. Its different it can produce an espresso style of coffee (heavy weight on the style) and made into an Americano I think does a better job than many many brewing methods out there.

Alan needs to walk away from all the stuff that’s going on there and just keep making the press.

Back onto the metal filter I think someone else is making them (espresso parts NW I think).
Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:46 pm

Yeah I may give it a try, got put off doing it by the talk of the need to use the "inverted" infusion method. The great thing about the aeropress is it's ease of use and this seems to complicate things too much for my liking... FWIW and IMHO it doesn't produce espresso but that doesn't detract from the device in any way...
scook94

Postby Steve » Sun May 07, 2006 10:50 pm

Do you know of a UK supplier of the braun filters, may be worth a try

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:53 pm

Steve wrote:Back onto the metal filter I think someone else is making them (espresso parts NW I think).

Are they making them for Alan, or for general sale? I can't find any mention on the espresso parts NW website...
scook94

Postby Steve » Sun May 07, 2006 10:55 pm

I may have dreamt it, but I'm sure I heard they were making some of there own back? It could have been a dream or an alcohol induced hallucination (most of them tend to be about coffee with me).

I'll see if I can dig out the email about them.

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Steve wrote:Do you know of a UK supplier of the braun filters, may be worth a try

Steve

Mine is the SwissGold one cup filter made for Whittards (£7), the filter is split by plastic "supports" so it's not big enough for the aeropress but anothercoffee.co.uk sell the larger swissgold filters that could possibly be cut to the right shape...
http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110300.aspx
scook94

Postby Steve » Sun May 07, 2006 11:04 pm

searching my email its not there, but that’s not a shock to me, as I've swapped laptops recently. My guess is it was the beer alcohol talking to me.
:)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby scook94 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:17 pm

That's too bad, hopefully consumer pressure will encourage Alan or someone else to release a metal filter for the aeropress. I still firmly believe the paper filters are a limiting factor in the quality of coffee it produces... Time will tell though...
scook94

Postby Paulbeans » Wed May 17, 2006 8:27 am

This is my first post - so please be gentle with me. (I have been lurking for a while) Bought the aerobie of Steve at Hasbean at the weekend and found it to be really good and hassle free. Would fully recommend anyone spending the £25 on it.
Paulbeans

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods