eSantos

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

eSantos

Postby phil » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:56 am

I've been fancying one of these for a while. They get a love 'em or hate 'em review on CG. I drink a fair bit of non-espresso these days (you know why!) so my interest in vac pot brewing has been growing. I've got an old Cona set up in a cupboard somewhere - must get it out and try it. I'll probably need to replace any rubber bits.

So anyway, I just ordered one of these from Steve after he got one the other week and said how much he loved it. I've been drinking some fairly delicate coffees recently (see the update on the Thai that I'll put in after this note) and I do wonder if I over-brew them / muddy them a bit too much in my french presses. So I look forward to this with some excitement.

I'll keep you posted.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:18 pm

I've sent the Esantos today my friend Im sure you will be pleased, I love mine I wouldnt be without it.

It deffinsatly gets rid of the muddyness and doesnt over brew. The only thing I dont like is it doesnt keep it hot, I think I need to dig out my thermos pot!

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Package arrived this morning

Postby phil » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:10 pm

I'm looking forward to taking the new toy for a test drive tomorrow morning. I'll post my views.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:31 pm

Glad it arrived, you would belive the hassell I've had with the post office this week. They have lost 5 orders in a week! And there responce "we do loose some parcels sorry!"

Look forward to your comments :lol:

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Grinding

Postby phil » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 pm

Just mailed Steve about this anyway, but a bit of back-up doesn't hurt.

What's the recommendation? Finer (than for french press) I presume? I use 35 on my Rocky for french press (touch is at -2), so maybe around 20-25?

Nice looking piece of kit. Just ran some clean water through it. Can't wait to try it tomorrow!
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:11 am

I use the same setting as my filter machine so yes a little finer than french press, but dont go to far :)

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

I may have ground a little too fine

Postby phil » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:24 pm

And then again the Kenyan I was using may have been over-roasted. See the thread on the Roasting forum.

Reasonably encouraging first try though. Must clean up tonight!
phil
Founder Member

Update

Postby phil » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:46 pm

OK, I've used this pot once or twice every day since I bought it. I've used a press pot once or twice only since then.

Yup, I definitely like the results. Cleaner tasting than FP, although FP might benefit heavier coffees such as Indos for example. If you like brewed coffee (i.e. you're not a total espresso bigot) then this machine is worth buying.

What I don't like so much :

Cleaning isn't hard, but it's more hassle than for FP. Everything is "hand wash only" - you can't just stick it in the dishwasher. For FP I just empty the pot on the garden, swill it out under the tap and stick everything in the dishwasher. Press pots are cheap, so I just keep a few in the cupboard.

For the eSantos on the other hand, I take out the top part, remove the lid, chuck the grounds on the garden, rinse it out under the tap and then hand wash it, the lid and the filter. The bottom part is harder to clean as it's effectively am electric kettle, so you can't just chuck it in the sink. I fill it with water and soap and give it a good broggle with a washing up sponge. Altogether this whole cleaning process takes about five minutes. No big deal, but not as simple as the FP. Also, since the units are GBP 50 each I don't want more than one.

Finally, the rubber seal keeps coming off, but it's not hard to put back on.

Go on, get yourselves one. You can't call yourselves coffee geeks if you just use espresso machines all the time! Get to know the wider world of coffee!
phil
Founder Member

interesting

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:10 pm

Perhaps I should try one, at some point.

I don't have much time for my coffee hobby lately. Work is rather busy (lots of positive changes), not leaving me much time during weekdays.

ES
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Other Brewing Methods