Who is still about?

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Who is still about?

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:13 pm

I know a few of the old faces are still dropping in from time to time and mostly read but I’ve been thinking it’s time to put out a shout and have a bit of an online reunion here and see who is around.

I’m still in touch with a few of the gang and am aware others have probably left the hobby. Most of us are older and many are creakier too, but that’s okay, creaky folk can enjoy coffee just a bit slower that’s all.

So let’s see if anyone spots this! Who is around and what are you up to in your coffee adventure?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: Who is still about?

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 pm

I am here.

My coffee journey has reached a plateau. I am making myself a brew that I like with gear I use confidently. I can do it consistently and it satisfies me and the friends who partake of it.

Much as I would like to develop my equipment, constraints of money and space in the kitchen conspire against it.

There are loads of old threads showing here and I would really like it if more people posted regularly and made this site a fresh and vital resource for other coffee lovers.
Ed

Postby dr.chris » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:00 pm

Barely ever look in these days, sadly. Still have the loverly Anna, going strong after yet another replaced controller 3 or 4 years ago.

I have switched to a pour over personally but the wife still makes caps with Anna. I am seriously thinking about digging up the old MC2 and doing a few espressos, but sharing a grinder with the wife using different beans was not working, and it seemed like a lot of effort to get an indifferent espresso against a very reliable pour over with a nice laser cut reuseable cone.

Back in the real world things are stable but much more stressful than I'd like, for more reasons than I'd like to go into. Still I did finally get to turn my computational modelling skills to a project for a major coffee company. Was impressed that when we went to see them the guy who asked me about my coffee setup asked about the grinder I had right after asking about the machine.
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 pm

It’s nice that some of us occasionally still drop in for a look. Happy new year to you both and anyone else reading!

We still have our Anna too Chris but she became poorly three years ago. Despite numerous rebuilds by various people involving all sorts of parts she retained a pressure loss and made a screech that no-one could fathom. So we have an ECM dual boiler now which is also a lovely machine.

It’s nice to hear people outside of our obsessive circles are recognising some of the importance of grinders these days Chris. We still have our MC2 as well, the one Scott supplied after our first foray into espresso and the somewhat notorious Cunhill Tranquillo incident around fifteen years ago. Much of the little amount of brewed we consume is still ground by the Starbucks branded Dualit E60, also known as Solis 166, which was our first burr grinder back in very late 2004.

There is a lot to be said for knowing the equipment well that you use as you say Ed, it definitely does add to both consistency and quality.

The old days on here seem so long ago. I reckon groups in hobbies go through generational changes. For some they move on through interests and for a few of us we will be at it until the very end because we just can’t manage without great coffee. The social side was such great fun too.

See you around chaps.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi Cakey, glad you are still here. I hope I can still find my way in the forum and catch up with the topics I like, I still have a lot of hospital visits to look forward to although the Covid virus is causing delays to my treatment. I have spent my lockdown incarceration stripping and rebuilding my Huky roaster, getting La Valentina serviced and repaired and painting and decorating. I am getting fitter, I manage to sneak out in the evenings to walk along the river and have managed up to two Miles then a day at home to recover from my idiocy.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby AlexCaro » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:11 am

So sad that this forum is empty now. I found so much useful info here. Hope it will come to life again
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I will have another coffee.
AlexCaro

Postby EricC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 am

Hi Cakey, Yes, i'm still around and drop in now and then.
Good to see that you are still around in these strange times.
All the best
Eric
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby double_shot » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:25 am

I also pop in from time to time.
double_shot

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:28 am

Well fuckity doo dah. I’m still around. Good to see some old names from fuck knows when. We must be a bunch of old cunts now. Yeah still drinking coffee, but more areopress(15 years old) and other shot. No machine. Too much hassle amd wank really.

Use a Mazzer for grinding but get my kicks out of brewing beer and distilling gin

I’m in the camp of fuck the world but not your mates. Unless it’s a special friend.

Anyway - here’s to covid, living in NZ and beer. Lots of beers.
espressomattic

Postby double_shot » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Soviet NZ are really pushing the sars cov 2 nonsense, have they managed to cure seasonal influenza this year like they have in Soviet UK?
double_shot

Postby zix » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:38 pm

Oh hi!
Don’t think I have logged in here for the entire past year. Maybe.
Was poorly all last year due to covid in January and post covid rest of the year. Working 50%, just came to think of TMC (turns out the memory circuits aren’t all gone, just a bit burnt, and, to the amazement of almost nobody, smell like cr@p ;)).

Good to see that some of you are still here.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby double_shot » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:42 am

I still poke my nose in from time to time...please don't judge the use of a Starbucks cup in the gif.

Good to see there is still some life out there. :)
double_shot

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:28 pm

I’m appalled ........ that dog isn’t wearing a seatbelt! :wink: :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:30 pm

zix wrote:Oh hi!
Don’t think I have logged in here for the entire past year. Maybe.
Was poorly all last year due to covid in January and post covid rest of the year. Working 50%, just came to think of TMC (turns out the memory circuits aren’t all gone, just a bit burnt, and, to the amazement of almost nobody, smell like cr@p ;)).

Good to see that some of you are still here.

Good to see you zix, and sorry to hear you have been so poorly. I hope you feel much better soon.

The old place is a bit quiet but a few old hands still drop in or read now and then.

You take good care of yourself and please be well.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby double_shot » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:15 am

CakeBoy wrote:I’m appalled ........ that dog isn’t wearing a seatbelt! :wink: :lol:

What's even more disturbing is his legs are too short to reach the pedals effectively. Image

double_shot

Next

Return to Off Topic