Another moka pot

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:38 am

Talking of Bialetti: why do they insist that you not "tamp" the coffee and not overfill the filter? They always say - like in these instructions of yours, alan - that there's a reason for it, but they never actually *give* the reason.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:53 am

Neku wrote:Talking of Bialetti: why do they insist that you not "tamp" the coffee and not overfill the filter? They always say - like in these instructions of yours, alan - that there's a reason for it, but they never actually *give* the reason.

I've only read that the grounds expand enough that you don't need to tamp -- doing so could clog the pot and it could potentially explode. With my little sing-shot, I lightly tamp with my thumb...I've never found that it hinders nor helps it...but I enjoy it, so I do it. :P
DrZeus

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:11 am

I always overfilled and tamped, it never exploded. The only problem I have with my Bialetti's is that they have huge deposits of scale on the bottom of the water reservoir, and they seem to have a terrible effect on the taste. We don't use them anymore.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:19 am

That's the same problem I have with my first moka pot, which is now stored on the shelf. It was a cheap pot, so I assumed that was the reason...apparently not. Perhaps that's a good reason not to go with aluminum?
DrZeus

Postby Raf » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:54 pm

i think the Dama isn't in aluminum, not sure though.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:03 pm

Neku wrote:i think the Dama isn't in aluminum, not sure though.

Here's a picture of the Dama.
DrZeus

Postby alans » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:20 pm

Yeah, looks like the Dama and the Brikka look the same but only the Brikka and the Kaliffa have the "pressostatic valve" to produce crema. It actually looks a bit like the valve on the top of a pressure cooker.

I know what Neku means about tamping, I know lots of people who tamp as a matter of course and never heard of an explosion or even the pressure relief valve releasing pressure.
alans

Previous

Return to Other Brewing Methods