Finally tried a Cold Brewed Coffee

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Finally tried a Cold Brewed Coffee

Postby espressomattic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 am

The chaps at Rocket Coffee in Hamilton opened up a whole new world to me today...

Gelana Abaya Yirgacheffe cold brewed.

I had always wondered what it was like and was never really optimistic, so having the chance to try some today dispelled any worries.

Firstly the explosion of aromas was stunning, this was followed by the aromas directly translating into the taste. Si in this coffee you get a hit of red cherries and in the cup, yep red cherries. It really didn't taste of coffee.

It was a very refreshing drink for a very hot late spring day (Only ran to about 27 Deg C).

Anyone else tried/makes cold brew. I have got some sat in the fridge for the morning as it is getting to warm for a hot drink...

BTW ratio I worked on was 49 grams coarse grind to 800 mls of water (Cold of course) :)
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Once more you make me jealous, Matt. The cold brewed coffee sounds interesting but sitting here on a cold, dark, very wet day, the 27 C late spring day sounds very desirable indeed. 8) :wink:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby espressomattic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Bit. Hilly here today though...only about 22 at the moment. Mind you a warm wind blowing through the house as I sip a cold brew coffee while looking at the hills through the open French doors.

Hey, stop don't delete my account
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:59 pm

espressomattic wrote:Hey, stop don't delete my account

Gimme three reasons why I shouldn't :twisted:.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Skippy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Cold brew is on my very long list of things coffee related to try
Cimbali Junior D/1
Skippy

Postby Joris » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 am

In the summer I usually make cold brew quite a lot, usually with an etheopian coffee like limu or yirg or harrar. Love it for the warmer days :)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby motoman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, how do you cold brew?

I can make hot ice cream, I just don't pour it into the Ice Cream Maker. Tastes like custard, oh shit! it is custard.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 am

Most use a cold brew maker, perhaps like the Toddy, though Breako would just use his espresso machine sans element! :roll: ;)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Aha! now I know. So I looked up the brewing method and available kit. Then I dug out my old plastic coffee maker with a nylon filter in the base, I got it in SFO for a couple of dollars to use in my hotel room. Fill it, stir it, then stand it on a mug, the filter has a trick base that allows the brew to run through.

Will try it with cold water tonight and let you know the results.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby motoman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:33 am

I suppose that trying cold brewed coffee on a cold miserable February morning is not the cleverest time of year to proceed. My verdict that it tastes like s$%t may be a trifle biased so I may try again on a hot summers day, seeing as we may never ever again see a hot summers day in the UK, please do not hold your breath.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby espressomattic » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:33 pm

Cakey, get stuffed you decriped badger...

Moto - here is a method guarunteed to get a good result.

49 grams of coarse grind coffee. 800ml of cold filtered water. Combine the 2 in suitable jar/jug. Leave in fridge for 24 hours. After 24 hours, strain through filter. Will keep fresh in fridge for 7 days at least. The method you used will indeed produce a crap coffee. You need 24 hours steeping time.

Oh and Cakey, shut up you decrepid bugger ;)
espressomattic

Postby motoman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:09 am

I think you will find that Cakey is self stuffing and requires little outside help.

Matt lives in a land of Lamb and Butter, he should be ready to eat by now and should be careful what he says to those of expanded waist and guilt free appetite. Cakey will chew the carpet when hungry, a mat is merely a light snack.

Curiosity aroused, how do you pronounce 'Cold Brew' in the land of confused vowels?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
motoman

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:30 am

espressomattic wrote:Cakey, get stuffed you decriped badger...

Moto - here is a method guarunteed to get a good result.

49 grams of coarse grind coffee. 800ml of cold filtered water. Combine the 2 in suitable jar/jug. Leave in fridge for 24 hours. After 24 hours, strain through filter. Will keep fresh in fridge for 7 days at least. The method you used will indeed produce a crap coffee. You need 24 hours steeping time.

Oh and Cakey, shut up you decrepid bugger ;)

Decrepit I may be young man but I take solace in the possibility of huddling next to the lovely Anna for warmth ;) :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: Finally tried a Cold Brewed Coffee

Postby robashton » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:54 am

I'm one of those boring people who prefer to make hot coffee over ice and cool it down.

Iced Aeropress, or Iced Espresso (over chilled (hot) steamed milk).

cold brew is nearly always disappointing, tastes like dirty dishwater at its very worst, and tastes like a bad aeropress as its very best. :roll:
Hasbean fanboy, rocks with a Sage DB + Ek43 (18g vsts, 58.3mm flat tamp yeeeaaah) 8)
robashton

Re: Finally tried a Cold Brewed Coffee

Postby _grind_house_ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Ive had two types of cold brew which i've enjoyed -
My work brews it in vats and strain it through Chemex filters for a really clean cup. Ours is fruity and chocolaty and sooo so refreshing (not to mention gives you a pretty good buzz!)
But today I had a much more savoury one which had a much fuller body. After the ice melted its really brought out more of the chocolate and dates and i think i actually preferred it.

There is something about cold brew which i can imagine can be unpleasant to some people, not to mention that so often people over brew it and it has much more of a harshness. However cold brew can take away the acidity associated with some coffees and leave a really sweet taste, but as always, its not gonna work with certain coffees.

Great for hot days (like today) when its tough to get up and go!
Gill's to do list: Drink More Coffee!
*Chemex <3* *V60* *Aeropress* *Espresso*
_grind_house_

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods