Anyone use a napoletana?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Anyone use a napoletana?

Postby Piero » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:25 pm

I find a napoletana far better than a normal stovetop or mokapot. You can avoid the overburnt result of steam or boiling water cooking your coffee. It's the simplest, cheapest and most effective (and ancient) method that uses gravity to pull your water through the ground coffee. With practice you can get the temperature of the water just right, as well as the coarseness of the grind, and after you invert the thing you end up with a pretty good strong cup. Obviously it can't compete with a decent espresso machine, but it serves me well for a caffeine hit when I need one away from home or bar. The only place in the UK selling them appears to be The Algerian Coffee Shop.
Pavoni lever, R Silvia
Piero

Postby JulieJayne » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:30 pm

The Napoletana, a great party piece. But for simple filter coffee, I'd prefer a swiss gold filter and a large mug!
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby Kaz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:42 pm

I've always used this type of coffee maker (as did my mum and grandmother). I have used other methods but always come back to the trusty napoletana and find that I get a stronger, cleaner and smoother brew than with, say, the bialetti moka. I agree that the results using the same beans with the bialetti have often tasted harsh in comparison with the napoletana. The size of the filter holes in the napoletana can vary so the grind has to be adjusted accordingly but generally you need a slightly coarser grind. My mother used to have incredibly heated 'discussions' with her friends about the merits of the napoletana over the moka. Glad someone else here likes them. I bought mine years ago. Thanks for the pointer to the Algerian Coffee Shop - good bit cheaper than the Alessi one!
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Postby Piero » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:44 am

So glad to see someone out there using one, Kaz.
Had a look at the Alessi napolitana - £250+!! You can buy a new Gaggia Classic or a good grinder at that price. Alessi do however make the prettiest espresso spoons I've seen and I couldn't resist £20 for 4.
Pavoni lever, R Silvia
Piero

Postby Kaz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I know, I know, £250 is pretty excessive. OH suggested I use his oil can instead! Algerian coffee shop looks interesting and I'll certainly pop in there next time I'm in town.
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Postby JKH » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:52 pm

I noticed this thread quite by accident today - the day I purchased my first ever Neapolitan flip pot. I had to take my Gaggia Classic in to have a new brewhead gasket fitted and picked one up for £29.

I have to say that it has made quite the cleanest and most flavoursome non- espresso coffee that I can recall tasting for many many years. It certainly beats, by a considerable distance, that made in any of my French presses or stove-top Bialetti.

My MDF grind (normally around 3 or 4 for espresso) I've dialled up to 12 and have made two pots so far, one of which I'm drinking as I type. It really is superb and I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
JKH

Postby Kaz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:11 am

Very pleased you've discovered the flip pot. I've got 3 - a 12, 4 and 2-cup. The 12 cup is an old aluminium job I had as a student many years ago. It's since been on many family camping trips and despite a few dents, still turns out a decent cup. The 4 cup looks like an aluminium dustbin and the 2 cup is a shiny stainless steel which despite being about 30 years old still looks bang up-to-date and brand new - my favourite - together with the Pavoni.
Kaz

Return to Other Brewing Methods