Storing vac-pot cloth filter (Hario)

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Storing vac-pot cloth filter (Hario)

Postby Rujir » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:49 pm

Hello guys, I've just brought from London a brand new Hario Syphon (vac-pot) and there is one instruction that I'm little bit confused about. The instructions say that I should store the cloth filter in the water in fridge and change the water regularly.

I don't know why but I can't get rid of the thought that it would be much worse for the filter than proper drying. What do you think about it? How do you do it? And have you been succesfull in cleaning the filter so properly, that the water doesnt get darker before adding coffee? Many thanks for any answers!
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

RE: Storing vac-pot cloth filter (Hario)

Postby kingseven » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:53 pm

If you let a cloth dry out, and I don't understand why, then they will permanently be ruined and taste awful.

I really don't understand why - I'd love to know too - but experience says fridge if you use it frequently or I freeze them if I am not going to use them for a while.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby al_bongo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:09 pm

I follow these instructions and have had no problems and long life out of the filter.

Drying out according to my reading on the matter hastens the deterioration of the cloth filter.

Keeping the filter under water means you only need to use Jo-Gloe/Caffiza occasionally to clean the filter.

I suspect the reason for storing the filter in water is that any residual coffee residue has limited exposure to oxygen compared to drying it in air there by reducing the tendency for the residue to react with oxygen and give you a rancid taint.
al_bongo

Postby Rujir » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Many thanks, guys, I have never thought about not following the instructions, I was just curious why is it so. And when both of you say, it's good then it's good. :)

And special thanks for the remark about the freezer. I was little bit afraid I would have to change the water everyday, even when I am not using it. :P
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

Postby quoad » Tue May 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Mine dried out whilst moving house. A fortnight later, the swine was rotten right through! :(

I now need to find a replacement Hario cloth.....
quoad

Postby Babygazzer » Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 am

try here
http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Hario ... lters.html
I believe a shipment has just arrived
Gaz
Shortly Fracino Cherub, Miss Silvia (awaiting repair),Macap M5 grinder, Chemex, Aeropress, Hario kettle and drip filter,
Lots of Hasbean coffee
Babygazzer

Postby quoad » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Babygazzer wrote:try here
http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Hario ... lters.html
I believe a shipment has just arrived
Gaz

THAT is INCREDIBLY good news!

TY, chap, duly ordered!
quoad

Postby syscrusher » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:32 am

I had one that dried out and was indeed vile.
A spin through the washing machine restored it (though it did take a couple of uses to get the detergent taste out).
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby al_bongo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:14 pm

I've had success with steeping it in cleaning solution, then sticking it in a pot of boiling water for a minute or so - you don't even have to take it off the holder.

No taint after that even if it was allowed to dry out.
al_bongo

Postby Jules » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:22 pm

I use oxyclean to clean my filter every 5-6 uses. I soak it for a few hours followed by a quick rinse afterwards and I haven't had any problems with detergent taste.
Jules

Postby quoad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 am

I've also found that a new filter speeds up the filtering no end.

Erm, the 1950s (gorgeous) Hellem vacpot I bought... I think from Joris... was taking 7 minutes to clear the top bowl. Which made it beautiful, but utterly useless :D

A new Hario filter, and it's draining in <30s. A miracle cure!

AND the change on the Hario has got me noticing that that'd been taking 1-2mins to drain n all... I'm guessing that's due to lack of care, as previously described :oops:
quoad

Postby awlred » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:53 am

On the subject of cleaning the cloth filter, I've noticed I'm getting a light brown tint when the water rises through the filter, assuming that it's from previous brews, so would soaking the filter in a detergent like Joe-Glow/Cafiza etc damage the cloth?
UKBC Semi-Finalist 2009
|Iberital MC2|Pavoni ZIP(Borked)|Wega Max 2.6|Bodum 8-cup cafetierre|Aero Press|Eva Solo Cafe|La Pavoni EuroPiccola EP|Ocaree TCA-5 Vacpot

My Blog: http://awlred.wordpress.com

Barista at Peel&Peel Independent Coffee, 22 St Micheal's Road, Northampton
awlred

Postby al_bongo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Soaking filter in Joe Glo/Caffiza is fine.

Still using the same filter after a year and a half, occasionally steeping in Joe Glo. Mostly though just thoroughly rinse filter after each use.

Water isn't crystal clear in the top chamber - very slight tint. Don't think this matters much though if you're storing the filter in water.

If you can clean the filter thouroughly every now and again I don't see why you would need to replace the filter unless it is worn.
al_bongo

Return to Other Brewing Methods