Balancing Siphon Method

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Balancing Siphon Method

Postby SlowRain » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 pm

I know the siphon method (vac pot method) is a popular method for some people, but I seldom hear anyone talking about the balancing siphon method. It's a semi-popular method here in Taiwan (and in Japan, I believe), but not quite as popular as the plain ol' siphon method. Since it originated in Europe, I was wondering if anyone on TMC has tried it and what you think.

I was driving past a coffee equipment store today and decided to stop in. It turns out it was the showroom for the factory. I talked with the general manager for a bit and he made me a cup. Now I've had balancing-siphon coffee a few times before here in Taiwan, but I think those ones were always made with stale beans. This one was actually pretty good (I've also had the same experience before with the plain ol' siphon method).

One drawback the GM told me was that the alcohol that it uses for fuel is hard to come by in North America. Coffeegeek.com has a lengthy write up about balance brewers.

Anyone here ever try one?
La Pavoni PRH, Aerobie AeroPress, 2 Bodum French presses, Sözen Turkish mill, Porlex ceramic mill, Feima 600N
SlowRain

Re: Balancing Siphon Method

Postby Teme » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 am

SlowRain wrote:Anyone here ever try one?

Old post, but since I recently got me one of these I thought I'd respond. Initial thoughts here.

Br,
Teme
Teme

RE: Re: Balancing Siphon Method

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:13 am

Beautiful machine Teme and great to see you around too :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: Balancing Siphon Method

Postby Teme » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:23 am

CakeBoy wrote:Beautiful machine Teme and great to see you around too :D

Thanks Cakey. It's certainly been a while :)

Br,
Teme
Teme

Return to Other Brewing Methods