A non espresso grinder

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:19 pm

GreenBean wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Clears the nasal passages a threat though ........

Thanks for the tip, I have been leaving mine plugged in to the socket. I will try unplugging and immediately inserting the plug pins into my nasal passages. I will report back soon......

You nose it makes sense! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 pm

CakeBoy wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I have been leaving mine plugged in to the socket. I will try unplugging and immediately inserting the plug pins into my nasal passages. I will report back soon......

Oh no, GreenBean's avatar turns brown again! :roll: :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 pm

bruceb wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Oh no, GreenBean's avatar turns brown again! :roll: :shock:

:lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:17 am

Wow, what a buzz! I know how Rudolf got the red nose now. The blisters and scaring should settle down in a few weeks but on balance I would say that it is best to follow Dom's advice and to avoid contact with the plugs on these grinders. :? :(

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:02 am

GreenBean wrote:Wow, what a buzz! I know how Rudolf got the red nose now. The blisters and scaring should settle down in a few weeks but on balance I would say that it is best to follow Dom's advice and to avoid contact with the plugs on these grinders. :? :(

Dom has no choice, I would point out, having lost fingers and toes. :roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Bite me. I use my teeth :P
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Gadders » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:50 am

bruceb wrote:
Gadders wrote:Ah lovely, cheers Mark - reckon they're any good?

Hi Phil! Nice to see you around here again. IMO the Solis/Dualit/Starbucks is OK for everything but espresso. For the price they're not badly made, look alright and are relatively quiet. I used to use one for the press pot, stovetop and AeroPress and it seemed to work fine.

Ahh thanks brucey, been busy with this pesky degree - apparently it does actually require 'work' ? pff :roll:

thanks for the suggestions guys, its actually for my dad - he's finally cracked and has decided to upgrade his 'slice & dice'.

Happy crimbo all :)
Gadders

Re: RE: A non espresso grinder

Postby jon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:43 pm

triptogenetica wrote:I'm using a hand grinder most of the time, a Hario Skelton.
It seems to have a more consistent particle size when grinding finer; at coarser grinds it produces quite a range of sizes, including some fines.

But the results are good, and it can accompany me places that electric grinders can't, which is great.

Can these be bought anywhere in the UK at the moment?

Thinking of getting one of these things - http://www.amazon.co.uk/La-Cafetiere-Co ... 524&sr=8-2 But the last broke quicker than I'd have liked, and wouldn't mind trying something different.
jon

Postby DrTom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 pm

CakeBoy wrote:
GreenBean wrote:

Ohhhhhhhh it's good...

:D
DrTom

Re: RE: A non espresso grinder

Postby double_shot » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:18 am

jon wrote:Can these be bought anywhere in the UK at the moment?

Thinking of getting one of these things - http://www.amazon.co.uk/La-Cafetiere-Co ... 524&sr=8-2 But the last broke quicker than I'd have liked, and wouldn't mind trying something different.

You could try coffeehit.co.uk

They have this http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/PRD_ProductDetail.aspx?cid=134&prodid=1068&Product=Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Mill-Skerton which is on discount (20% ish off) at the moment I believe.

They also have this http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/PRD_ProductDetail.aspx?cid=82&prodid=1010&Product=Porlex-Ceramic-Burr-Hand-Grinder these are also on offer at the moment.

double_shot

Postby PhilT » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 am

I hadn't seen this before; seems like an interesting new option on the hand grinder front:

Hario Mini Mill Slim
http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/PRD_ProductD ... rodID=1072

Ceramic burrs, tough plastic case and not too expensive - very similar to the Kyocera which does a great job as a work & travel grinder for cafetiere.

Any one tried this? I'm tempted and I already have practically the same thing.

Phil
La Spaziale S1 Mini, Mazzer Mini E, Aeropress, Kyocera hand grinder
PhilT

Postby dsc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi Phil,

will have it in a few days, I like how small and light it (hopefully) is and how similar it is to the Porlex re grind adjustment. I will try to write something when it arrives.

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby P.B » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:28 am

Others who had posted on this thread seemed perfectly happy with their Dualit grinder when used with a drip machine. I wasn't which led me to suspect there might be variations in the max and min settings.

I found this: http://www.ineedcoffee.com/07/hack-starbucks-grinder/ and adjusted my grinder 4 notches coarser. Now Coarse is notably coarser and the coffee doesn't have the over-extracted bitter taste.
P.B

Postby Lambo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 pm

dsc wrote:Hi Phil,

will have it in a few days, I like how small and light it (hopefully) is and how similar it is to the Porlex re grind adjustment. I will try to write something when it arrives.

Regards,
dsc.

Any news on the grinder dsc? I'm working away from home during the week at the moment and something like this could be good.
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby dsc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Lambo,

I've only used it a couple of times but I really like it and I think the grind quality is quite nice for drip/pourover. Would definitely buy again/recommend, even more so than the Porlex (easier to hold when grinding).

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

PreviousNext

Return to Other Brewing Methods