Reusable aeropress filters where to buy?

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Reusable aeropress filters where to buy?

Postby claust » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 am

Hi,

The talk about improving Aeropress by creating a reusable filter is very interesting and something I would like to try. Is there anywhere in Europe that sells the gold filters or any other filter material that works. Obviously internet sales would be a requirement. If I can get my hands on a reusable filter material, do you just cut out a filter similar to the paper filters supplied with the Aeropress?

Claus
claust

RE: Reusable aeropress filters where to buy?

Postby bruceb » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:36 am

I bought a Swiss Gold filter from HasBean and cut out a circle the same size as the AeroPress paper filters. It has worked fine for the last 2 years. It does, obviously, let more fines through so there's a bit of mud in the bottom of the cup. Any metal mesh filter that will fit a Melita #4 filter funnel should be big enough to let you cut out at least 2 disks for the AeroPress.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Reusable aeropress filters where to buy?

Postby claust » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:52 am

Did you use special tools to cut out the filter? I will have to get somebody else to do it for me, so the more I know about it the better.
claust

Postby radish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:02 am

Tinseljim wrote:... I am definitely a convert of the 'inverted' method and even got a hold of some of Rasqual's 'poly-filters'...

The above was posted in the Aeropress Resource thread and refers (I think) to the article http://scott.marquardt.googlepages.com/ ... ttercoffee

Maybe Tinseljim could let us know where he found the polyester material - would be interested to try it myself.
Silvia+PID, Mazzer Major, Rocky, Chemex, Aeropress and Gene Cafe.
radish

Re: RE: Reusable aeropress filters where to buy?

Postby bruceb » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:40 am

claust wrote:Did you use special tools to cut out the filter? I will have to get somebody else to do it for me, so the more I know about it the better.

The truth be known, we used a slightly rusty, dull scissors. You just place an AeroPress paper filter disk on the gold-colored filter mesh, draw around with a thin felt-tipped pen and then cut out the disk using a scissors. The material cuts as easily as paper. If necessary you can cut a bit larger and then trim the disk so it fits just right.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Other Brewing Methods