Aeropress two cups

French Press, Vac Pot, Drip or any other - air your views and results

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Aeropress two cups

Postby elmlou » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Hello - I'm a newbie here. Can anybody offer any advice on brewing 2 (or more) cups of coffee with the aeropress. I use it when drinking alone and it's great and I've made 2 cups by pressing the coffee into a cafetiere flask which works fine - but if for example I was in a hotel room and wanted 2 cups with no jug what is the best way to do it?
elmlou

RE: Aeropress two cups

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi Elmlou and welcome to TMC :D

Are you looking to make coffee for more than one person or one for now and one for later to drink yourself?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby elmlou » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:05 am

Hi - I was thinking of making coffee for two (or more) people.
elmlou

Postby Tristan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:43 am

a/ Dose higher and water it down after extraction.
b/ Make one cup twice!
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby elmlou » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:58 am

I was just thinking of the practicalities of making two cups from one pressing - you'd have to judge how much to put into the first cup before dripping it to the second one! I've used the watering down method in the cafetiere jug where all the coffee goes in the same container and it works fine for two cups. I guess the best way would be to buy a little plastic jug for travelling with - or use the one cup twice method. Do all you guys just use it for one cup?
Slight change of topic - but has anyone tried the swiss gold individual filters? I was thinking that they might be an alternative for hotel rooms etc
elmlou

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Yes, we tend to make individual espresso style shots with the Aerobie - though I know others on the forum make much longer drinks.

We have some individual filters (not Swiss Gold) and they are okay. I suspect they would be better if we had Swiss Gold because our larger Swiss Gold makes great pour over. Of course, that is another alternative, take a larger Swiss Gold and simply make pour over using a kettle and a jug, or even a large mug. As long as the coffee is fresh and ground to order, you won't go too far wrong.

Our Swiss Gold filter and pour over jug was just over £11 at the Bodum Outlet shop in Oxfordshire (about 75% off the rrp). They will mail out telephone orders if requested. It might be worth a look if you take that route.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Jem_Bean » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 am

I had a great Aeropress of Origin-roasted Gethumbwini that Hugo made earlier this year at ExpoWest. As i understand it, it was a heavy dose filled all the way up with not-quite-boiling water. The whole shot was dripped into one mug and a splash of hot water added.

However he made it, it was awesome. I'm sure Hugo could elaborate more if so inclined...

I've used my Aeropress to make 2 cups before and just added extra hot water. Definitely agree with Tristan that you need to dose higher though - goes a teeny bit thin otherwise!
Jem_Bean

Return to Other Brewing Methods