TMC Domains

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

TMC Domains

Postby phil » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:19 pm

FYI

TMC has traditionally been accessible via a number of TLDs (Top Level Domains), including .com, org, .net, .eu and .co.uk

Given the current situation with respect to funding, I can no longer justify spending money on TMC domain names that are not core to the identity of TMC. Further, I think that after almost seven years the identity of TMC is sufficiently well estalished for us to be less concerned about impersonators with similar domain names.

For those reasons, I'm not going to renew the .net and .org versions of the TMC domain name.

When I registered the .eu version of the domain name, the "European" aspect of TMC was a key part of our identity. Today, this is no longer so and therefore I have already (albeit reluctantly) released the .eu version of the domain name.

That leaves us with .com and .co.uk, unless I've forgotten something.

Personally, I feel that the .com domain is the core of our identity. I don't think that the .co.uk domain is in the least bit core to our identity, however: the fact that I'm a Brit, as are the moderators, and that the technical infrastructure is based in the U.K. should be immaterial to the identity of TMC today. However, I think that this domain name attracts a fair amount of our traffic from U.K. members, who form a fairly significant part of our membership. I need to gather some information on the break-down of traffic by domain name before making any final decision.

Feedback, as always, is welcome: however, the main purpose of this posting is to act as an update to members.

Thank you all for your support.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

RE: TMC Domains

Postby triptogenetica » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:00 am

I'm from the UK, but i always access through tmc.com. I'd hope we could publicize the change easily enough.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

RE: TMC Domains

Postby darrensandford » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 pm

I always use .com. This is personal opinion, but I feel that it makes it more accessable to the rest of the world as well. I realise that .com is an american domain, but it 'feels' more global.

My vote is for .com.
darrensandford

Re: RE: TMC Domains

Postby Beanie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:54 am

darrensandford wrote:I always use .com. This is personal opinion, but I feel that it makes it more accessable to the rest of the world as well. I realise that .com is an american domain, but it 'feels' more global.

My vote is for .com.

I always thought .com meant a commercial domain, like .org for organisation, or .edu for education...not an American one. Learn something new everyday, I suppose.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

RE: Re: RE: TMC Domains

Postby phil » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Well the registry for .com domains is US based, so there is a common perception that .com is a US TLD. I think that the intention is that it should be an international TLD though.

As triptogenetica says, .com was intended as a commercial TLD. These days people just use it as an international TLD.

.com is what you're gonna get, anyway. No-one has pushed back on the proposal to drop the rest.

My only potential concern is site ranking. Raf - if you're about - you're hot on this stuff. How does the site rank of tmc.com compare to that of the other TLDs mentioned?

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Return to Site Announcements