The Fight Against Spam

For the announcement stuff that used to go in the feedback forum

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The Fight Against Spam

Postby phil » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:51 am

For the moment, all we're going to do is delete the stuff.

TMC MkII is coming along (but only when I'm free from client work, which is what pays for TMC), and at the appropriate point I'll consider all of the factors and decide whether it's actually feasible to add in some extra protection. Not just technically possible, but feasible from a long-term management perspective.

For now, please may I ask members not to post on an Open House thread after a spambot has hit it, until Raf, Dom or I clean up?

If you do post on the end of a spammed thread, if you're just cursing out the spambots your post will get deleted too. If you're actually trying to add valid content, then it makes it much harder for us to preserve your post whilst canning the spam. Our normal method involves splitting the spammed thread at the first spam post and then deleting the spam as an entire thread. If you've tacked something on the end, it requires several additional operations (two thread splits and a thread merge in total) to preserve your post whilst deleting the spam. We'd rather not have to do all that extra work.

OK?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Olings » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:58 am

I get the message Phil! You can delete my reply to the Innova-thread and I'll post it again when the spam is gone. In my defense I must add that I'm no super-user when it somes to these things. It's a good thing you wrote this so that people like me can learn how to behave next time around.

I guess for some this is common netiquette, but I'm learning. :?

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby bruceb » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi,
I don't think this was meant in anyway personally. A number of us have added on things after the onslaught of spam. It was not apparent to me at all that this counterproductive and good to know for the future.
I would also like to thank Phil, Raf and Dom for the really professional way things get done here. It makes the whole coffee experience even more enjoyable!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby phil » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:58 pm

Olings old bean, in no way was this meant personally towards anyone - and I carefully saved your contribution so don't worry! :)

After all, if you'd gone to the trouble of posting it the least I could do was take a little bit of care to preserve it!

Thanks
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:43 pm

Cool. It must be a pain for you guys at the moment Phil. We seem to be getting lots more junk these days (aside of the nonsense some of us post intentionally :wink: ).
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Raf » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:19 am

... aside of the nonsense some of us post intentionally Wink ).

You mean we weren't supposed to delete that? :oops:
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:12 pm

:lol: Everything I write is nonsense :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Site Announcements