Edinburgh: looking for job & rental

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Edinburgh: looking for job & rental

Postby KOLU » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi guys,
I hope it’s not against the rules of TMC but I’ve run into a serious situation and need your advice please. My fiancée moved to Scotland for seasonal job in Tobermory but things turned out really different than was planned – it is a job in another restaurant than advised, 2 times higher room rent and finally she caught Lyme Disease yesterday – so she is probably (will know it for sure today) leaving to Edinburgh. I’m arriving 18th of July and will follow her in search for bright future there too.

The problem is we're from the Czech Republic and Iceland so we don’t know the local advertising services/customs and we need to find a place to rent. And a (barista) job for me. I haven’t found anything in Edinburgh on londoncoffeejobs.co.uk and don’t know any other trusted/proven sites to look for jobs (or flat rentals).

Every advice or job offers will be highly appreciated!
Also, we'd love to have a cup with member of TMC in Edinburgh in general.

Thanks,
Lukas
travelling with Porlex, Aeropress and Kalita Wave...
KOLU

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:42 am

I am sorry to hear about your problems, Lukas. I hope your fiancée gets the best treatment to ensure a rapid recovery and cure and that someone can help you and your fiancée with information and advice on accommodation and jobs in Edinburgh.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby KOLU » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks a lot, Tom!
KOLU

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi Lukas. It might be worth popping into Kilimanjaro at 104 Nicolson Street. It is owned by TMC member and former Scottish barista Champion, Jonathan Sharp. At the very least you can probably get the heads up on the Edinburgh scene and you know that your first port of call is a top end establishment, so any recommendations will be worthwhile and of quality. Good luck to you both and I do hope your fiancée recovers well from the Lyme Disease, it is very nasty and she must take care.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby KOLU » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi! Many thanks for your recommendation! I will check that place for sure (it sounds awesome).
Also Iva is getting better and it looks like friend of a friend of a friend of mine might have a spare room for a week in Edinburgh which increases our chances to survive there :)
KOLU

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:58 am

That is good news on both counts. Let us know his it does. Best of luck :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby KOLU » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi guys! I was soooo busy these tree weeks... Unbelievable. We moved to a different place for a whole August (one room but for a good price) and it looks like it will be easier to find a small flat for rent when the Fringe festival ends.

I was on a trial shift at Kilimanjaro - they sprinkle the cappuccino with cocoa and don't weigh the doses and shots (I actually haven't found scales there at all), eh...

But I was then offered a job at the Filament Coffee where I'm working at the moment. Mythos, EK 43, weighing each dose and shot, single origin coffees only (HasBean for espresso and Square Mile for filter) - the best coffee shop I've ever worked in my whole life. And I really like the city :)

That's probably all for the moment :)
KOLU

Postby GreenBean » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:07 am

Brilliant news, Lukas. I am delighted for you :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Whoa! Blahopřeji! Lukas. Image
It sounds like you had some excellent luck. Let us know how things work out for you.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Well done Lukas, sounds great :) I hope your fiancée is feeling a bit better. Edinburgh us a lovely city :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby KOLU » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:33 pm

So, the Edinburgh part of the story ends - the Filament Coffee is relocating the shop (looking for a new place at the moment) and instead of staying we set sail off to the Reykjavík in Iceland. I miss the Edinburgh's weather and old majestic buildings a but it was quick decision since we had offer to stay at friend's house for really cheap (cheaper than in Edinburgh actually).
I was offered a job at Reykjavík Roasters and Iva is doing graphic design from home. It looks like she will have to undergo another (longer) ATB therapy to get rid of the Lyme disease (she's having headache every day as well as other symptoms) but otherwise we feel very good there.

Thanks for all your support. It seems that we'll stay there for quite a long :)
Cheers!
KOLU

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Sounds like a good plan Lukas. I wish you both well there and hope Iva is soon free of what can be a nasty disease :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:02 pm

I am impressed with the apparent ease with which you and Iva move around Europe and find employment 8) Congratulations to you both and enjoy Reykjavík. I hope the next round of treatment rids Iva of the Lyme disease.

GreenBean

Return to Off Topic