Growing coffee trees

Anything Else!

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby phil » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:25 pm

Ian, I'm sure that Peter realises that all TMC members are coffee enthusiasts and that we all seek to buy the best possible greens. I imagine that he was just expressing surprise that, after all they go through, greens are still capable of germination - it just didn't come over that way, probably because (like most of us) Peter was in a hurry.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby peterj » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:33 pm

And me please Quink.
peterj

Postby peterj » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:42 pm

Ian wrote:
Not exactly sure what you are trying to infer.

Only amazed at the wonders of nature and how the heck a well processed coffee can with stand that level of prep' and stilll grow.
peterj

Postby zix » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:09 pm

peterj wrote:On another semi-relative note....surely it is a sign of badly processed greens if they're growing easily. A coffee that's been at 50/60 degrees for 60 hours+ or toasted in tropical suns until very low moisture content, before de-husking shouldn't be sprouting should it...or have l missed the point?
Naaahh... I have heard some seeds can survive for hundreds of years. Probably no problem getting coffee beans to grow, as long as you haven´t roasted 'em 8)
Think of all them flower seeds they sell in little bags. There is lots of life in a seed!
zix

Postby michel » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:31 pm

My beans have tails :D
So I think I've done something right this time... Two weeks ago my eldest daughter brought a bean home from school to grow... It became a faillure (while all the other kids have little plants already...), here bean just rotted away :cry:
But from the 50 coffee-beans I had put under water yesterday, about 18 grew tales :D (just as on the picture) and my wife and I were/are flabbergasted!

I've just selected the 18 good ones and sow them in some sand from the kids sandbox, in an egg-box (as Eeffoc suggested), just to make the 'tails' even longer...

This is really exciting, and even more because I hate gardening, this 'growing your own coffeeplant' is really turning me on!
michel

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:41 pm

Wooo steady on there boy :)
Danny

Postby moccafaux » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:26 pm

More info for me, too.
My mother has sort of a green thumb and since I helped here felling several sick trees in the garden recently I am thinking about enlisting her.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby phil » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:38 pm

Quink - post the scan here as an attachment please.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby quink » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:32 pm

I'll post the scans as soon as I can track it down, always the same when your looking for something, it hangs around for months and when you need it, it's nowhere to be found.
I've tried soaking a few beans and I've got little shoots comig off some of the beans as well. Out of interest I've got bubbles of air forming under the layer of beans, photosynthesis?
Would you guy's think it was weird if I had a dream where at 4 in the morning my wife through the coffee beans with shoots on them out of the window, and I grabbed a torch to go and look for them :?:
quink

Postby Joey » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:57 pm

photosynthesis is how to turn light into sugar, or was it chlorophyl, the green color? Dang, school is over for a loooong time. But when I put plants into water to get some roots and air bubbles start to emerge, then it's usually time to change the water, otherwise it will get smelly soon ;-)
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:14 pm

Chlorophyl is the chemical that is green, photosynthesis is the process that converts light into sugar with the help of carbon di-oxide. The byproduct is pure oxygen.

BTW, is your machine collection growing? :)
Danny

Postby chrish » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:21 pm

OK, having failed with one of eefoc's kits (perhaps roasting them first was a mistake :lol: ) I have decided to give it another go.

Right, which beans to try (Kopi Luwak?)?
chrish

Postby michel » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:44 pm

My beans are dead :cry: Yesterday they had beautifull white tails, and today (I lifted some out of the sandbox-sand to see how they were doing) all tails are black and dead.
I think the sand was a bad idea... Tomorrow I'll grow some new and sow them after 36 hours between two damp coffeebags... Hope that will work better... :?

Michel
(still dreaming of big coffeeplants in the living... which will make an excellent argument to move to a bigger house eventually...)
michel

Postby quink » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:38 am

I've managed to track down part of the info that came with the kit, unfortunatly its not the bit with growing instructions on it, but the little booklet about coffee history. I'll keep looking for the other bit though.
quink

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:13 pm

I am not sure if it has the info in there but I downloaded the PDF'd version of the 1935 book "All about Coffee" by a W.H. Ukers.

There was a thread and a url on a.c a few days ago. Is anyone interested?
Danny

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic