TMC2 Bug Reports & Issues Thread

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: TMC2 Bug Reports & Issues Thread

Postby phil » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Right: clarification.

In an individual forum view the list of topics has icons against each topic.

When the icon is orange, that indicates that there are new posts in that topic and the icon is a link to the topic it is adjacent to. Not the most recent post in that topic. Just the topic.

This is true regardless of whether you're in IE or Firefox. In my experience browser dissimilarities or bugs don't extend to disagreeing over simple links. I have tested this behaviour in both browsers just so that I could honestly tell you that I had done so. It works just as I say.

In the higher level view which is the list of forums the same icon is employed to indicate that one or more topics have new posts in a particular forum. In this case a link is not indicated. A simple link is 1:1 and this icon would have to generate a link to a list of posts in the general case. That is not standard functionality.

All of this is standard phpBB stuff and has been since the year dot. Certainly since TMC 1.

If the in the first case your icons are not links then you must look locally for the issue, e.g. to your firewall software - although in all honesty I suspect that you may simply have confused the behaviour of the higher level list-of-forums view and that of the forum-level list-of-posts view as they use (and always have used) the same icons.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: TMC2 Bug Reports & Issues Thread

Postby fred25 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:22 pm

lukas wrote:Try the "profile" link on the top bar, right below the blurred beans ;). It's a different one from the postnuke profile, I think.

Thanks for the tip! :)
fred25

Re: RE: Re: RE: TMC2 Bug Reports & Issues Thread

Postby eivindt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:46 pm

phil wrote:Right: clarification.

In an individual forum view the list of topics has icons against each topic.

When the icon is orange, that indicates that there are new posts in that topic and the icon is a link to the topic it is adjacent to. Not the most recent post in that topic. Just the topic.

This just doesn't add up. On my computer (Linux) with my browser (Firefox), that orange page-like icon, definately leads to a specific post in that topic. It chooses the correct page (if the thread spans multiple pages) and scrolls down to the relevant post. I'm not 100% sure if it links to the most recent post, or the most recent, unread by me post of the thread, but it's definately one of the above.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter, since after reading that thread, reloading the forum index removed that orange page icon.

Anyhow, it works exactly as I want and expect, so I'm definately not complaining and I'm very pleased with this upgrade-side-effect!

Eivind
La Scala Butterfly ~ Mazzer Mini E ~ Café Gene
eivindt

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: TMC2 Bug Reports & Issues Thread

Postby phil » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:08 pm

The function called by the link is viewtopic. If that's what viewtopic does in 1.2ip3 then it is. It sure didn't use to be in 1.2e. The browser is not and cannot be the issue as any significant processing is performed server side.

However that's irrelevant as Raf's complaint was that there was no link, which complaint I cannot substantiate.

I think we should put this away now as the software does what it does and I don't propose to re-engineer it.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Forum Feedback