Something extra for blends

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Something extra for blends

Postby moccafaux » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:10 pm

How about an extra forum for blending? I think it gets a bit lost in "beans and cupping".
Myself, I would like to have a quick look sometimes to get an idea what to mix with what and read comments from others. And since we are so deep into roasting, this would improve our profile, too.
An article from one of the experts, with an appendix from other members,
would be ideal. :wink:
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby phil » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:03 pm

I nearly made a crack about "something for the weekend sir?" but I guessed that was too "British" to translate well.

Oh look at me, I did it anyway :wink:

On the subject of moccafaux's posting, this has come up before. I believe Sunnyfield brought it up some time back. We talked about it for a day or two, and then we talked about something else and it got forgotten. This is a bit like the "forum for non-members" idea, which went through pretty much the same life cycle (and which incidentally has yet to receive any traffic :cry:).

So I'll start a poll on a separate thread. I agree strongly that one thing that really differentiates us (apart from the European focus) is our strong collective interest in roasting and coffee generally, rather than just the technology. So I'm certainly keen to see lots of discussion on blending - I've just never been certain whether it really merited its own forum. Also I don't want too many forums as it makes the forum index too "busy".

So lets see. I'll put up a poll and see what response it gets.

Phil
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:52 pm

Ok, so to clarify what I meant:
A visitor has a look at our site and sees a lot about roasting going on. Something sounding vey complex, intimidating and maybe over the top (you know that reaction, dont you?). How can we give him the impression, that it has real merits to do that?
Said visitor might be already interested in good food and vine and knows how the ingredients and the craftmanship add to an excellent result in the kitchen.
So, by giving easy access to the results of our care for coffee, we might provide some kind of "bait" to get him involved. I dont mind how this can be done, by re-naming or re-creating an existing forum maybe. Its in a way like someone reading a machine-test and seeing a picture of a good shot, that makes him wish to do likewise.
Myself, I liked the way Phil and Hugh gave me written comments together with their samples. Never had it ocurred to me, that blending (no, even using different sorts of beans) can influence the result in the cup so much. That an intiation I would like to give more people.
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby phil » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:41 pm

I think moccafaux is saying something very interesting and useful here, but I'm unconvinced that opening a new forum just for blending is the right way to go. Also, just adding "blending" to the title of an existing forum doesn't seem to address his concerns either.

Does anyone have any ideas? A series of articles maybe? There were some very good articles on this sort of thing a year or so ago, on CoffeeGeek, so it could look a bit "me too" if we did that. Another forum? Blend of the day?

OK people, I think this is really interesting and important. How do we go about this?

Ideas on a 2kg bag of JBM please. No? OK, only joking. But please tell us your ideas to develop TMC to do a better job in this area.

Thanks

Phil

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby moccafaux » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:01 am

My source for ideas were articles from sweetmarias and lucidcafe. Just basic guidelines for getting started. It would be nice if we could provide such info-
chocolate+-----__0
coffee=-------- \ >;
myfuel------- (_)/(_)

Postby phil » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:12 am

That's an interesting one moccafaux. There's a point at which we'll be just doing the same thing as other web sites have already done. Some of our "How Tos" stray into that territory.

Perhaps if we were to do some basic articles on blending, and then publish the results of a few blending experiments, that might be what you want?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Return to Forum Feedback