Deleting posts in Members' Clubroom

Tell us what you think or what problems you had

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Deleting posts in Members' Clubroom

Postby phil2spill » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi, just wondering: is it intentional that peeps can't completely remove their own previous posts from Clubroom threads? I'm one of those people who writes stuff and then later thinks "You tedious overbearing pedantic pompous arse" (or similar) and tries to delete it. But for whatever reason the delete option isn't an option in the clubroom. Thx
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby RobC » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:37 pm

I have no idea, but personally I have long since accepted that I will post random rubbish, but prefer to entertain everyone rather then go back later and edit it for public viewing. "Once you Submit you Commit"
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby BazBean » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:22 am

If only life had an edit button as well Phil.
especially for those " whens the baby due?" ....." I am NOT pregnant" moments....
to be fair it pains me more when i realise that after such a posting nobody actually took any notice of what i say anyhow
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby espressomattic » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:43 am

Did somebody say something? ;)
espressomattic

Postby bruceb » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:02 am

There are so many sides to this that we could start or join another discussion group about it. There is:

1) the vanity and self importance side

2) the think first-speak later side

3) the ubiquitousness (no one is free of the wish at some time to go back and change or retract things - this may roughly be called remorse)

4) the fatalist side "Nobody listens to me, anyway"

5) the "I will do anything not to see myself as others do" side

6) the "Maybe I need to learn to accept myself as I am more gracefully" side

and on and on.

One reason there are so many lurkers in discussion groups is the fear of putting one's foot in one's mouth. Living one's life passively, vicariously, is valid and permissible, but if everyone did it we'd still all be drinking bad coffee.

So post away, phil2spill and don't look back. We're all hungry to learn from you, and if you forgive us for being tedious overbearing pedantic pompous arses, we'll forgive you. :wink: :wink:
bruceb

Postby phil2spill » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:29 pm

Some of the best advice on the 'net is often to be found off-topic, and here's a good example! Thanks indeed for your observations. (Barry, you didn't really say that . . . did you? :shock: ) :wink:

Phil

(PS. I'll be back to delete this later)
phil2spill

Postby mhuk » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:49 pm

Or hit "edit" and delete your original post and replace with a joke? ;)

Is life a half-full or half-empty glass? No engineer type replies please....

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Oh yes you can....

Postby phil » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi, just wondering: is it intentional that peeps can't completely remove their own previous posts from Clubroom threads?

It's neither intentional nor true.

I have a test account that I use from time to time. It's called "testuser1" if you ever see me around in that guise.

I just posted in the Clubroom and then, after about five minutes (so people might notice) I went back and deleted the posting. All as testuser1, which is an ordinary user.

Prior to doing that I had confirmed that the permissions were correct anyway. I was just proving a point ...

Sorry.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby phil2spill » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:51 pm

It's odd Phil, but looking around there's hardly any posts that offer me the delete option now -- could it be there's a limited time window to go back and delete, or maybe it's a cookie thing since I've been purging them quite frequently of late? Anyways, no big deal.
phil2spill

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Is it clear that you can only edit or delete your own posts? All of mine have a delete button.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Not sure I see a delete on my permissions Phil (Admin), will post this and have a look. Have never noticed that option.

Edit: Oh yes, there it is - the little "x" button near the edit option. One learns something new every day :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:54 am

bruceb wrote:Is it clear that you can only edit or delete your own posts? All of mine have a delete button.

Bruce, yes, I realise that last post made it sound like I was casting about for any post to delete :)

Cakey, do all your posts have the 'X' button pls ?

Thanks to Phil for checking btw.

mhuk, that's an excellent idea! :D
phil2spill

Postby HughF » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:48 pm

I checked my post on the Roasters thread as I can't remembering seeing the "X" button.
I see the quote and edit buttons on the post, the Alt tag on the edit button says edit/delete but when clicking the edit button I see no delete oprion or "X" button.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:53 pm

phil2spill wrote:Cakey, do all your posts have the 'X' button pls ?

Not sure - had never noticed it before. Will check over the next few days and report back (memory willing :roll: ).
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:01 pm

For what it's worth only "some" of my posts have the "x" button. Naturally, where I double-posted, it's not available :roll:.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Return to Forum Feedback