Recent experiences in Swansea and South Devon

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Recent experiences in Swansea and South Devon

Postby dr.chris » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:23 am

Just thought I'd write a couple of lines on some cafes me and the wife have been to recently.

1st Verdi's in Mumbles- I havnt been there for ages although its very local to us, but the wife did. Walking past the place they have a lot of shiny metal on display and what looks like a 3 group and a 2 group machine but the end result was a very bad cup of segafredo which the wife spent several days complaining about. I know there is another place in Swansea listed in the Independent's list of coffee shops but I'm not hopeful and it does sometimes feel that the Plan Cafe in Cardiff is a lone beacon in these parts

2nd the Salcombe Coffee Company. We were staying locally and ended going here most days, often more than once a day. The coffee is good if not great but the set up and food (and cakes) are lovely. The wife even got some latte art when she was there when the place was a little quieter. Its also next door to a couple of outlets for Salcombe Dairy ice cream which is the best we have ever tasted. There are other options here for a coffee and sometime we will get round to testing but its often a case of better the devil you know. We did find out what coffee they were using but ofc I cant remember it now.

3rd the Cafe at the Dartington cider press center. Its fairly new and they have a lovely nice shiney Brasillia which gave us some hope. It was awful. I was asked if I wanted milk with the black dishwater that passed for a double espresso that was my order. Its also not cheap. Should have noticed the 'pure earth' coffee sign outside earlier and made a run for the nearest Costa instead.

It was a nice holiday but for coffee its great to be back to Anna now. I guess next time we will just have to leave one of the kids behind and take Anna instead....
Iberital L'anna / Mazzer Mestre/ Iberital tamper
dr.chris

RE: Recent experiences in Swansea and South Devon

Postby bruceb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:51 am

Segafredo? Isn't that the stuff that was recently described as good for making footpaths?

Can't you get the kids to carry Anna?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby dr.chris » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Hmm the largest of my 2 boys weighs in at about 25Kg - Anna weighs in at 38Kg so I dont fancy their chances at the moment.

Mind you the time we took the gaggia to my parents has entered family legend and they do still sometimes leave a space in the kitchen for it.
dr.chris

Postby dr.chris » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Just been back to those parts and the wife tried coasters in Kingsbridge. Its not an unfamiliar story these days but it sounds like they have everything pretty much right apart from the coffee....
dr.chris

Return to Places to drink coffee