Vietnam, Japan, Australia, New Zealand...

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Vietnam, Japan, Australia, New Zealand...

Postby Thiskey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are taking a gap year and are off travelling for 8 months. Route is Vietnam, Japan (Tokyo), Bali, Hong Kong, New Zealand (all over), Australia (Sydney and Brisbane), Vanuatu, South America (Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Argentina), Mexico, Cuba.

Any suggestions for coffee shops?!

All the best,

Tom
Thiskey

RE: Vietnam, Japan, Australia, New Zealand...

Postby espressomattic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 am

Coffee Supreme in Wellington have opened a new venture, focussing on speciality and competition coffees offered through non pressurized methods. Going to try that in a few weeks. Christchurch has some good places, again off there in a few weeks too.

Rocket Coffee in Hamilton is good, Maestro in Tauranga (East Coast), Momento Cafe in Hamilton, Red CHerry on SHW 1 near to Cambridge is a roaster/cafe. I'll be honest and say that getting a good coffee here is not that difficult, getting an awesome coffee is not much harder really. There are a few gems in Auckland, but I stay away from the more commercial ones.

Finally 90% of BP's here in NZ have Faemas on the go and generally the Baristas pulla great shot, but the coffee is a dak roasted blend by Robert Harris. But it is great fro a cheap pick me up when driving and is far better than any service station on the M6
espressomattic

Postby movingtolondon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:40 am

Hi,

can personally vouch for Coffee Supreme's 'Customs Brew Bar' in Wellington, NZ, and Crafted Coffee in Christchurch. Also enjoyed C4 Roastery in the latter.

Let me know if your coming to Wellington, I'll hook you up for a couple of nice coffees at the cafe I work at.
Currently 'backpacking' in NZ, with about 10kg of coffee equipment!
movingtolondon

Postby Thiskey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks guys, can't wait to visit these places.

Let me know if your coming to Wellington, I'll hook you up for a couple of nice coffees at the cafe I work at.

Yes we'll be in Wellington for a few days in late April. Will definitely pop in and say hi -what's your cafe?

90% of BP's here in NZ have Faemas on the go and generally the Baristas pulla great shot

BPs as in petrol stations... with baristas... pulling great shots?! Bizarre.
Thiskey

Postby leecb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 am

There is a little cafe in High Street called Toasted or Roasted that I think are one of the few places in Auckland that are serious about SOs and provenance. Really nice people and very passionate about coffee.
Alpress, who are taking over the cafe supply chain in Auckland, refused to sell me a single origin for espresso :shock: telling me that SOs are inappropriate for use in an espresso machine. All their coffees were roasted to full city, even french! Apparently they are coming to London this year to set up a roastery/cafe.
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby espressomattic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Yup - BP as in Petrol stations...pulling shots. I have seen the quality of the shots being poured at my 'local' really improve over the past year. You just have to forgive the coffee which is a darker roasted Robert Harris blend. However when pulled well, it is actually not too bad.

Movingtolondon - Where are you in Welly? I am there in a couple of weeks, may pop in for a brew?
espressomattic

Postby AndreasM » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:04 am

AndreasM

Postby ackers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:32 pm

If you get to Dunedin at the bottom end of New Zealand try the Strictly Coffee company, they have 2 shops now, both small and only for drinking coffee, I didn't take too much notice of the equipment used but it did taste nice. http://www.strictlycoffee.co.nz/static.pasp?staticid=2
ackers

Postby tap » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:58 am

try cafe de l´ramble for an authentic flanell sock experience!
japanese adresses might be a headache to locate if not used and even when
8-10-15 Ginza,

http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~lambre/

tokyo is not my place so can´t recommend much. vendingmachine stuff is not that great but worth try.if only for experience. me only no sugar black. mutou burakku. anyway...
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby coffee-dramatist » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 am

Well, i was just about to recommend Café de l'Ambre, but i see 'tap' did it already.
I have read so much about this place and was very much attracted by the fact that they work intensively with Vintage Coffee. So i wrote about it here:

"Vintage Coffee from Cuba in Tokyo"

http://coffeedramatist.wordpress.com/20 ... -in-tokyo/

I have corresponded with several people who were there, including Ken Belson who wrote about the Café in the New York Times. So Mr. Sekiguti seems to be several things right since 1948.
coffee-dramatist

Postby triptogenetica » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 am

When in Hong Kong, you must visit the smallest roastery i've ever been to:

http://freshcoffeentea.no-ip.info/ or www.hkcoffee.com

Amazing place!
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Return to Places to drink coffee