Bath, Bristol, Gloucester etc.

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bath, Bristol, Gloucester etc.

Postby Thiskey » Tue May 05, 2009 2:32 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for coffee shops in Somerset? Bath, Bristol, Gloucester, Wells, etc etc...

I've read about Two Day Roasters (Bristol) on these forums and it sounds great. Any other ideas?

I'm heading to the region for a few days' break later this month (my first time in the area).

Tom

http://www.cosycoffeeshops.co.uk
Thiskey

RE: Bath, Bristol, Gloucester etc.

Postby Hugo » Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm

I've always had a decent cup of coffee at the Boston Tea Party in Bath, though a place called Jika Jika on George street would be well worth a visit, I can't wait to get a look at it and a taste of their coffee... though I'm not completely sure they're open yet!
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

RE: Bath, Bristol, Gloucester etc.

Postby Thiskey » Wed May 06, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks for the tips Hugo. I see (via Google) that Jika Jika is Matt Stevens' way of keeping busy while he's suspended from playing rugby (and apparently it was due to open in late April).

Tom
Thiskey

Re: RE: Bath, Bristol, Gloucester etc.

Postby matisse » Wed May 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Hugo wrote:I've always had a decent cup of coffee at the Boston Tea Party in Bath, though a place called Jika Jika on George street would be well worth a visit, I can't wait to get a look at it and a taste of their coffee... though I'm not completely sure they're open yet!

Jika Jika aren't going to be open till june at the earliest.

The BTP's are good, but have been slipping recently, if you want a decent latte go to Baristas on Victoris st in bristol, great little inde (also the best bacon sarn in town)..

other than that St Werburghs City Farm has a good cafe serving well made coffee.
matisse

RE: Re: RE: Bath, Bristol, Gloucester etc.

Postby Thiskey » Wed May 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks Matisse, I'll check those out.

Tom

http://www.cosycoffeeshops.co.uk
Thiskey

Postby Hen » Mon May 25, 2009 11:12 am

Hello!

I would recommend a brisk walk over to Widcombe (near the station) you will find a little parade of shops with two very good coffee shops!

The best thing about Jika Jika will be Sarah (previously Pzazz) her flatbread 'almost' pizza's are the best thing to eat in Bath! I believe he was talking to her about joining forces.
She also makes fantastic chocolate cake!

Hen
Hen

Postby smoocher » Mon May 25, 2009 3:22 pm

is Jika Jika the place being opened by disgraced english rugby player who's name i've forgotten?
smoocher

Postby Bren_D » Mon May 25, 2009 3:33 pm

rossbrown wrote:is Jika Jika the place being opened by disgraced english rugby player who's name i've forgotten?

Matt Stevens as mentioned a few posts up, no?
Gaggia Classic, Iberital MC2, Dualit grinder, a rather sexy Reg Barber and a collection of various press and moka pots. Oh and an Aeropress :)
Bren_D

Postby smoocher » Mon May 25, 2009 5:31 pm

you must have me mistaken for someone who reads threads in their entirety
smoocher

Postby Hugo » Mon May 25, 2009 6:01 pm

There seems to have been a change of staff at Boston, coffee's definitely off the boil. On return from Caffe Culture I asked if they could make a flat white, got a cheerful 'no problem' and five minutes later received an enormous, really badly made americano (I guess, I was outside clearing a table) and some milk. Won't recommend them in a hurry again.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby Tristan » Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 am

I've seen people make americanos as a 'flat' before.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby shuurajou » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:57 am

My Mrs said she got a great coffee from a lady outside the front of the Bristol council house on college green. She roasts her own beans too apparently. Haven't tried yet but sounds promising!

Update: Looks like they're called Extract Coffee Roasters. My Mrs said they knew about hasbean, squaremile etc, used a naked porta filter, no blonding of the shot etc etc - seems like a good source of coffee in the city centre!
shuurajou

Postby Thiskey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks all. I enjoyed my long and sunny weekend in the south west (what a lovely part of the country, by the way).

I popped in to the Boston Tea Party, TwoDay Coffee Roasters and Kindling Coffee Company, amongst others, and put up a few details here.... http://www.cosycoffeeshops.co.uk/south-west/

I was in Bath too early for Jika Jika unfortunately, and Baristas in Bristol (which I'd heard good things about) was closed for a wedding.... how inconsiderate.
Thiskey

Postby matisse » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Thiskey wrote:Thanks all. I enjoyed my long and sunny weekend in the south west (what a lovely part of the country, by the way).

I popped in to the Boston Tea Party, TwoDay Coffee Roasters and Kindling Coffee Company, amongst others, and put up a few details here.... http://www.cosycoffeeshops.co.uk/south-west/

I was in Bath too early for Jika Jika unfortunately, and Baristas in Bristol (which I'd heard good things about) was closed for a wedding.... how inconsiderate.

hey!! that was my sisters wedding back in june, we took a tuk-tuk down and made coffee for all of the guests and invited all of the staff at the shop, hence it was closed.

pop in again next time your down, especially on a sat morning as the bacon butties are legendary.

mat
matisse

Postby Thiskey » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Coffee from a tuk-tuk! Sounds brilliant!

I was gutted to miss you guys -- I was only in Bristol for a day and your coffee shop was the first place I headed to. There was a regular outside looking a bit forlorn and lacking in caffeine! I'd love to pop back but unfortunately I live in York and don't have any plans to go back to Bristol in the near future, despite it being a smashing place. Looks like I'll have to miss out on your bacon butties for a while longer.

Tom
Thiskey

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee