Bangkok

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Bangkok

Postby ianboughton » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:40 am

Can anyone assist with cafes, coffee-houses, tea-rooms or similar in Bangkok?

Thanks
-IanB
ianboughton

Postby Ed » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:49 am

There are a few St*rb*cks. :shock: To my shame I went in one there last Summer in the World Trade Centre (or some such name) - it's a mall.

Points of interest.

The shots were pulled by hand not with an automatic machine. The girl seemed to take a pride in her work.

Although they still do three sizes of drink they start a level lower so that their largest size is equal to a European or American medium.

(Sorry, just being a saddo nerdy character. We had a meal in Muckdonalds as well!!)

I don't think Bangkok has a cafe culture as we would know it. I was served Nescafe with condensed milk in it as a cappucino on that holiday - but it was in a Tesco cafe and it was in Phuket!!!
Ed

Postby 1808 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:30 pm

Don't go over to the dark side, resist the ubiquitous SBUX.

We're always looking for good coffee in BKK. Many cafes, but few gems. Here are a few we've found:

Small shop at Central World shopping mall. It's on the 5th floor, just outside of the mall entrance to Isetan department store. Look for the Orange Brasilia machine.

P & F Coffee near victory monument. www.pnfcoffee.com

Sweet Guilt beneath the Prakanong Skytrain station. It has been closed the past two times I've gone by. Hopefully, not terminally.

Hope to have more to report soon.

Postby kingseven » Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

I have a Thai coffee magazine somewhere - I shall hunt around and see what I can offer!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby 1808 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:28 am

Had been remiss in omitting "Danube's Best Coffee" from my earlier list of good coffee in BKK. I know of two locations, one at Times Square and, my favorite, one at Ploenchit Center, both of which are on Sukhumvit Road. Excellent latte and cappu.

None of the places I've mentioned have what I would call great ambiance. You should, however, have little trouble finding cafes with nice ambiance but perhaps less than stellar coffee.

Sorry, I don't know anything about tea, other than I've seen a couple of nice-looking tea shops in the Central World mall.

Postby Ed » Thu May 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Central World Mall - that was the place!!
Ed

Postby ianboughton » Thu May 28, 2009 11:33 am

Many thanks - I did actually find a quite revolting coffee in a Vietnamese cafe (!) but discovered a quite brilliant English cafe bookshop on Sukhumvit.

Details to come later...

-IanB
ianboughton

Return to Places to drink coffee