Wellington in Edinburgh

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Wellington in Edinburgh

Postby Jasonscheltus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Not that I just randomly trawl flickr for latte art or interesting places to have coffee or anything....but.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smileygeek ... 088883632/

Anyone know anything about Wellington coffee/cafe in Edinburgh?

(is it a new Kilimanjaro place?)
Jasonscheltus

RE: Wellington in Edinburgh

Postby kingseven » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Yeah, one of sharpjd's cafes - on George Street, just up from Prince's Street. Great little space, very different vibe to Kilimanjaro. I've only been in before they opened, or at midnight so I've never actually had coffee there but Kristen and others are great baristas so I've no doubt the shots are good.

http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Jasonscheltus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 pm

oh yeah? I know george street okay, I have a fairly decent bar tab at a cocktail bar there called Tigerlilly - where abouts is the cafe?

Edinburgh hospitality scene is WEIRD... Huge cashed up crowd near George street, hella expensive spirits etc. and then a healthy uni crowd down Nicolson street. For such a small city there's huge diversity in establishments; in coffee, music clubs, and cocktail bars.

And more synesso than London? More per capita, I guess.
Jasonscheltus

Postby kingseven » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:49 pm

The cafe is here

I always wish I had more time to hang out when I go up there.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby scook94 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Was in there for the first time on Tuesday. Was in mid afternoon and it was quite busy, the place is very small though so it doesn't take much to pack the place!

I had a large latte with extra shot and I must say it was very good. I might even go as far as to say it was better than Tinderbox in Glasgow, but I'd need to try it a few more times to be certain. The latte art was spot on too, always nice to see..

And of course they serve Square Mile Coffee, and have it advertised prominently on their grinders.

I'd tried Artisan at the end of last year and was pretty disappointed with their coffee. Haven't been to Kilimanjaro yet.
Service was fine too, considering they were busy.
Izzo Vivi | Mazzer SJ Doserless | Gene Cafe
scook94

Postby shm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:10 pm

I drink in Wellington Coffee, it's my local.

Artisan, I bought beans from but I find it's not too consistent but never had a drink there.

Yet to go to Kilimanjaro.

Kristen came second to the Kilimanjaro barista (forget his name) in the Scottish BC.

I've attempted to get to Tinderbox on two occasions (before Wellington opened) but failed.
stuff
shm

Re: Wellington in Edinburgh

Postby shm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Jasonscheltus wrote:Not that I just randomly trawl flickr for latte art or interesting places to have coffee or anything....but.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smileygeek ... 088883632/

She may visit Wellington but there's a whole lot more pictures of *bucks than decent coffee in her albums.
stuff
shm

RE: Re: Wellington in Edinburgh

Postby Tinseljim » Sun May 10, 2009 3:37 pm

I went last weekend and was also very impressed. Had a cappuccino and then a straight shot. Very nice indeed, good art though I preffered the straight shot. John is a nice guy too.

Artisan roast was amazing when I went last year. One of the best Kenyan Peaberry's I've ever had (can't remember which one it was but distinct mango and papaya!).
Tinseljim

RE: Re: Wellington in Edinburgh

Postby shm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 am

I've been to Wellington quite a lot over the summer and have ended up disappointed. The quality has gone way downhill as they have gotten more and more new staff. The newer baristi are not good at making coffee, despite James' roasts and their Synesso.
stuff
shm

Return to Places to drink coffee