Cardiff..

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cardiff..

Postby Hugo » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Stumbled on the home cafe of Trevor, the Bean Vagrant, whilst staggering around Cardiff in search of a decent coffee. It's called The Plan, it's in Morgan Arcade off St Mary's Street. It's wonderful. Go there.
He pulled me a couple of delicious, sweet, syrupy espressos using Monmouth's blend.

Five minutes later wierdly bumped into Tristan, the Wild Drink Blogger and regular at Relish, freshly returned from honeymoon.

I also found a Coffee #1 by the Millenium Stadium, spotted a La Marzocco on the bar and thought it'd be worth a try. Sadly the barista didn't try very hard, really sloppy dosing and wildly uneven tamping, the shot was decidedly average. A shame really.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

RE: Cardiff..

Postby Gwilym » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Went to the Coffee #1 in Albany (I think - got lost a bit) and had a well constructed cap and well poured espresso. Do not know how they cope with a mazzer major with such volumes but my coffee was nice and Estelle from Coffee #1 did get best cap in the Cardiff ukbc round today.

Heard good reports about Woody's in the market. No time for a visit but did manage to use the spare San Remo during Cardiff Round &made some drinks with their La fanny El Salvador s/o espresso.
Gwilym

Postby Hugo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Many congratulations to Trevor, Dale & Lance... and Estelle! Has anyone written it up? Confirmed my hunch and I hope The Plan gets some extra custom from the win.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby Gwilym » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:25 am

Trevor gave a good performance - his first time too.
I will definitely be searching out The Plan
Gwilym

Postby tav69 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:11 pm

I went to The Plan last weekend. I'm new to good coffee but I enjoyed my latte and my wife enjoyed her capuccino. There was a young dark-haired girl serving - Estelle? The food was good as well, my daughter had a really nice ham and cheese toastie.
tav69

Postby wacchimacchiato » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Had a couple of days in Cardiff and coffee'd at both The Plan (Morgan Arcade) and Woody's (upstairs in the central market). Both were really enjoyable and it's safe to say I definitely OD'd. Tony at Woody's was using La Fanny El Salv (JGC) which worked well in my macchiato with lots of caramel and chewy fruit (dates maybe), and I enjoyed chatting away with him over a couple of shots (I don't get out often!). The Plan were using Naturelle (JGC) a gorgeous blend with a really satisfying long finish and the macchiato's were immaculately prepared!

Cheers Cardiff look forward to coming back!
La Cimbali Junior D/1, Mazzer mini A, Cimbali cadet, Bizerba (Ditting) 903, sozen Turkish x2, Aeropress, Cafetiere's, Chemex, Stovetop(s), Bravilor novo2, Siphon TCA-5, Ibrik, Porcelain single cup filters, vitnamese filter, Turbo Crazy, Genecafe, Samiac GE 7/5 kg
wacchimacchiato

Return to Places to drink coffee