good coffee map (UK)

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: re

Postby Tinseljim » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi folks haven't posted for a while but thought I would add a couple places in Cambridge that I finally settled on. They're both good but not amazing so probably not worth a pilgrimage! But if you're in the area and looking for good coffee these are my recommendations.

I wonder if some kind of voting system would be helpful? Even if people added agree or disagree at the bottom? Just a thought.

p.s. Maybe we could make this into an iPhone app.?
Tinseljim

Postby PhilT » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 am

I'm slowly, and enjoyably, working my way through this map. Dropped into the Milk Bar on Sunday for my first flat white. Very excellent - gorgeous coffee, beautifully made with a nice rosetta on top. Kids liked their hot chocolates - especially the marshmallows.

The machine is an awesome looking La Marzocco with curvy black casing, and grinding on a big Mazzer.

Phil
PhilT

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:06 pm

apparently that LM machine has internet access!

i'm going to leave the map open for now, we can debate the qualities of each place here anyway
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby smoocher » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:54 pm

i added lantana to this a while ago. i've not been but it's another antipodean place. good coffee, breakfast that isn't going to give you a heart attack etc.

they're pushing monmoth through a 2 group linea i think.
there are some photos and the like here
http://www.qype.co.uk/place/240757-Lantana-London
smoocher

Postby Jaanus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:20 am

Why isn`t there a certain coffee-shop chain present, from Scarborough. Would add them myself, but feel too lazy to hunt it down on the map, not being familiar with Sunny`s `burbs.
There are certain individuals roaming this forum who might be able to pinpoint the named shops. Just sayin`
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Jaanus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:27 am

Also i can`t find a nice coffee place that hails from Wadebridge
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby PhilT » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Added Roasters Coffee in Scarborough, Cafe Harlequin in York, and Orange Square in Keswick & Kendal. From reports here, these sound fine places.

The map's looking pretty good now - never more than about 100 miles from a good cup of coffee wherever you are in the country.

Phil
PhilT

Postby Hugo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Can someone add a cafe that's missing?

It's called The Plan Cafe Bar, it's in the middle of Cardiff. The coffee's currently Monmouth, the Barista that got it right on my visit is Trevor, who I believe is entering the UKBC this year....

Sorry.

I'm too stupid to add it.
http://www.relishfoodanddrink.co.uk
Relish Food & Drink
Foundry Court
Wadebridge
Cornwall
Hugo

Postby PhilT » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Added The Plan Cafe Bar in Cardiff.

Phil
PhilT

Postby PhilT » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Another one checked off...

Visited Bea's of Bloomsbury on Wednesday for a swift cup on my way home. Quiet inside, but they were closing up for the day. Had a latte and a slice of carrot cake, both very enjoyable. Latte was carefully made by a friendly lady on a 4 group La Marzocco, served in a glass with a little rosetta on the top. Grinding on Anfim I think. Good milk and coffee (if not quite the blow your socks off flavour of the Milk Bar flat white). I read up later that they're known for their cup cakes - and indeed they had a tempting stack - so that's something to try next time. Seemed to have a lot of meringues in bags too.

Walked back to Waterloo (an easy route) and somehow managed to turn east instead of west on the Aldwych and walk half a mile down Fleet St before I woke up. A lot of legal chambers down there. Long day. Back through temple and into Waterloo. Marzocco on the coffee cart there.

Phil
La Spaziale S1 Mini, Mazzer Mini E, Aeropress, Kyocera hand grinder
PhilT

Postby Hiwakey » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 am

Skipton had an enthusiastic bunch running a really good little shop last time I was up that way (June). Couldn't tell you what it was called if me life depended on it though! Off the main street past the market and up a side street about 50 yards...
At home:- Grimac Mia, Anfim mini, Saeco Royal Cappucino (extracting surprisingly good espressos - for a superauto - from Monsoon Malabar believe it or not!!), Alpenrost, cafetiere
At work/about:- Aeropress, cafetiere
Either:- Vacuvin storage jars keep my coffee in good condition!
Hiwakey

Postby triptogenetica » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Added Caprioli's in Woburn, they did me and my girlfriend the best espresso when biking through there one morning!

edit: it was 2x cappuccinos, one each, before noon in fact. Don't know why I mistyped in the first place!

Apologies for editing, but once I realized my mistake, I couldn't help it...
Last edited by triptogenetica on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:15 pm

We might want to take off Voodoo and add CheekyBean (SJeffrey's new cart). I've not managed to check it out yet as this week has been manic, but hope to do so soon!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby SJeffrey » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:37 pm

In an entirely unselfish act, I added CheekyBean to the list last weekend... :D ...save you guys the trouble... :D
www.cheekybean.co.uk
Fiorenzato Ducale 2-Group
Mazzer Super Jolly
Roasted-to-order 100% Arabica blend of Peruvian, Ethiopian & Honduran beans.
Fairtrade, Organic & Rainforest Alliance Blends ONLY.
SJeffrey

Postby Eschatologist » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:21 am

Added myself (Merito Coffee). Dunno how anyone manages to work more than 4 days a week, really... :)
Eschatologist

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee