Dublin

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Dublin

Postby charmon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Hey, I know there have been posts before about this but a new one wont hurt. Plus, I'm feeling the need to give something back to the forum having been the benefactor of much advice since I joined. So, here's my list of places to sup in Dublin....in no particular order;

i) Bald Barista, Aungier Street
ii) Lemon Crepe, Sth Wiiam Street (or Dawson St)
iii) Cafe di Napoli, Westland Row
iv) Seven Wonders, IFSC (or Aston Quay)
v) Coffee Angel (mobile, Spencer Dock, Dun Laoghaire South Pier etc.)
vi) Dunne and crescenzi, off Nassau Street
vii) Bewleys, Grafton Street

Well, that was harder than I thought. Any more suggestions?
charmon

RE: Dublin

Postby kingseven » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Good list! The only one I can think to add is Ariosa's market stall in the Temple Bar Meeting House Square Market on Saturdays. Michael (the owner) pulls a very good shot usually.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby FlyingThud » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Hey,

I think Avoca on Suffolk street is pretty decent at times too, and Butlers are worth checking out now and again. I'm curious though, where have you had your best espresso in the city?
FlyingThud

Postby charmon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:13 pm

Hmmm...I've had great espresso at all the places I've metioned but I've also had terrible one's in most of them too. Thats the problem with Dublin...
charmon

Postby FlyingThud » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:00 am

I don't think issues of inconsistency are exclusively a Dublin problem, but thats another thread.

I'm surprised you've had great espressos from all of them. Not to by cynical, but for me, the cafes mentioned above represent places I'd have no problem paying for a coffee, places that have a level of quality devotion. I think they all do a good job on milk certainly but my list for good espresso in Dublin is a lot lot shorter. And even in that list, I'd agree with you, its sadly inconsistent.

Is there many Irish members on here?
FlyingThud

Postby charmon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:08 am

There's a few knocking about alright. Another one that just popped into my head is a place called "coffee to go" on Baggot street bridge (I know, terrible name...). They're using Bewleys beans and its a real office crowd service station but dropped in to risk a latte one day and it was excellant.
Just realised that La Corte/Dunne Crescenzi/Bar Italia are all one group so that would explain a lot. Are you based in Dublin?
charmon

Postby FlyingThud » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Coffee to Go use Bewley's French Roast and are one of their busiest accounts in the country. Theres a lot of competition around there too so its interesting to see them so busy. I wasn't overly impressed with the coffee but their scones are nice.

I live primarily in London but am back almost every week to work/see the girlfriend.

I always go to the La Corte on the top floor of powerscourt, their capp is one of the best in city of only for its traditional build, (1 shot, very small cup, not burnt milk). Can't really face their espresso though.
FlyingThud

Postby charmon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:15 pm

charmon

Postby syscrusher » Wed May 28, 2008 3:22 pm

I'd give a vote for the Bald Barista on Aungier St. Had a lovely thick, syrupy double espresso there a couple of weeks ago. Easily the best espresso I've had in Dublin.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby Aadje » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:22 pm

In a few weeks me and my girlfriend will be visiting Ireland. We'll be flying to Cork and 10 days later flying back from Dublin. I'll keep these in mind. Although I'm the crazy one (coffee-wise), she is starting to like decent cappas too :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby syscrusher » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Had an espresso and latté in the Bald Barista on Saturday morning - both were superb - really truly superb. Lovely microfoamed beautifully textured milk, nice free-poured heart. The espresso was near perfect.
After picking up some beans in Ariosa stall then I headed back towards La Corte in the Powerscourt centre, on the Thud's recommendation. The milk was overheated, the pours were ok on 2 of the 3 lattés ordered, on the third there was no brown impression of crema on the surface - pure white hard foam. I wouldn't return there based on the experience of that day.
I've had espressos before in La Corte in the Epiucurean food hall and I've always found them decent (Palombini beans) - but don't think I've had milk drinks from them. Maybe I caught La Corte on a bad day, maybe the wrong barista, but first impressions not good for me.

This could be a function of the inconsistency that's a feature of many places in the city....

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby FlyingThud » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 pm

Sorry you had a bad experience at La Corte. I would never say its amazing coffee, but I think they do a very Italian cappuccino, more often than not quite well. I'm particularly sorry that you said the milk was burnt, its normally pretty solid.

How do you rate Bewleys?
FlyingThud

Postby syscrusher » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:09 am

Haven't had a coffee in Bewleys in ages. Can't comment on the quality. Even after I really got into coffee I think I've only purchased beans from them.

The beans, when I get them fresh (ie not in Superquinn or Tescos) are very good.

I probably need to go check out Bewleys (Grafton St - is it still run by Bewleys - or is it CafeBarDeli?). I never drank a whole lot of coffee there.

The last time I had a coffee in Bewleys my perception of an excellent coffee was immensely different to now as I've gotten more accustomed to the potential of a good cup. There was also, at least for me, but others I think also, a somewhat unjust perception of quaintness with regards to Bewleys.

I don't want to come on here and bash anyone in particular though - that's why I've said I've had some good espressos in La Corte in the Epicurean Hall. Milk wasn't burnt per se, at least it didn't taste burnt, but it was heated to the point that it had lost a good lash of its creaminess and sweetness - (is this somewhere between ideal and burnt or just burnt?).

I'll make an effort to drop into Bewleys in the next week or so - and I'll report back.

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby lukas » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:49 am

When I was in Dublin in 2006, I've had a few good and one mediocre espresso, and a few good cappuccinos at Bewleys (I believe it was in Grafton Street). Was too shy back then to say something, but all in all a good experience :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Aadje » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Well, I'm back and got a chance to drink a (takeaway) cappa from Buzz, the bald barista. It was the best I had in some time I think, at least the best I got in Dublin. The coffee tasted good and well through the milk and the foam was excellent. It just tasted good.
They guy obviously had a rough morning when we got there, but appreciated me asking him to take his time. Had a nice brief chat and offered me a job when I said I was a fellow barista :D

btw, what's whith the Dublin 2 on all the adresses. Why not just Dublin, but allways Dublin 2?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee