Report: the birth of the "MOCCA CLUB"....

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Report: the birth of the "MOCCA CLUB"....

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:32 am

All that happened til now in a short version:
I was searching a location for almost a year now.
Finally got a shop from SBs as they didn't make a good choice at that location.
My concept fits much better to that place.
I could save a lot of money because SB made everything to perfection before me.
I have a very expensive ventilation system that goes up to the roof, several stories high....
Full equiped toilets (even one for handycapts + one for staff), I can leave the floor as it is (except the carpet parts), and all power and water connections are where I need them.

OK, signed the contract, got 2 months rent free, btw., the rent is VERY high, but I have a market in front of me, a theatre next to me, a taxi-prking lot, a loading zone, a famous sight of Vienna (= tourists) and lots of laywers and tax accountant offices in my building. Oh, and a technical university very close...

Now, the first month is over, I was in Indonesia buying furniture, had a lot of Sysiphos walks to make to get all kinds of permissions but next week the painters and carpenters will start their work.

From now on I will update this thread with pictures and if I have time with reports or stories. Right now I don't wanna bother you ith details as I think they are Austria-specific...and I don'T wanna shock others who are trying to open a coffee shop somewhere else ;-)

Oh, I forgot, i will have a head-barista from the USA. He "read" me on CG a long time ago, and when he visited Vienna some months ago he met me. We got along pretty well and he will work for me one year. He has a coffee shop together with his father so he alredy went to all the opening dramas and hiring and firing employees.

BTW, employees - I got my first 9 questions from possible employees....

Okey dokey, enough for today, to be continued....

Joey

Here a picture how it looked like before I got it and what I have now ;-)
Attachments
P1010215 copy.jpg
that's it from the outside, the street is always fuul with cars, night and day...
P1010215 copy.jpg (132.05 KiB) Viewed 12590 times
P1010228 copy.jpg
Still SBs.....where the carpet is there will be a wooden floor, one step high
P1010228 copy.jpg (116.1 KiB) Viewed 12594 times
P1010032 copy.jpg
just a part of the 297 m2.... here will be the bar....
P1010032 copy.jpg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 12594 times
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:01 am

sneak preview....
Attachments
P1010002 copy.jpg
loeading the first container....
P1010002 copy.jpg (104.52 KiB) Viewed 12588 times
P1010115 copy.jpg
I am very proud of this old sand stone wall - it will stand at the end of the room, on a bamboo-green wall....
P1010115 copy.jpg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 12588 times
Joey

Postby mnemonix » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:43 am

Cool ! It's great to see someone's dream made reality Joey. Come to think of it, it makes me want to give up my job and come and apply for one of your barrista positions :wink:
mnemonix

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:53 am

If you do the paperwork to get a job permission yourself - that's fine. I won't do it again soon - such a hassle! You need time and patience talking to these office people, and I have neither of that right now, he, he ;-) As an architect you would have fun styling that place, too, wouldn't you? :-D
joey
Joey

Postby Ian » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:54 am

Must be a relief to be able to get stuck in at last...
Ian

Postby mnemonix » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:06 am

joey wrote:As an architect you would have fun styling that place, too, wouldn't you? :-D
joey

Looks like you're doing just fine without an Architect ! The sandstone wall is beautiful too, nice idea to set it against a plain coloured wall - with some dramatic lighting perhaps to emphasise the relief ?
mnemonix

Postby larsb » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:03 am

What's the street address?
Machines: Rancilio Silvia & Rocky
larsb

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:52 pm

Linke Wienzeile 4
1060 Wien

why? will you come and visit me? ;-)
Joey

Postby tisri » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:58 pm

Hi Joey,

It sounds like you've got your work cut out but I have to say it's great to see someone who truly cares about coffee taking over from a Starbucks. As you say, they've got the building just so and you "only" need to worry about the interior.

I can't say Vienna is somewhere I visit regularly (if I'm honest I don't think I've ever been there) but if I am in the area I'll certainly pay your shop a visit :)

Hope everything goes to plan and the customers queue up for you the way they do for Starbucks over here.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:51 pm

Thanks, I know that I own Starbucks something - but not the whole world wide concern - just the man responsible for my contract ;-) who quit his job after that :-) - no, seriously, he quit before, but this was his last deal.
But still, the rent is so high, I can really only hope that my numbers and calculations are correct.
I need at least about 160 persons per day paying 4 Euros to have a break even!

Joey
>who is almost willing to dance naked on the bar to get enough people into the shop :oops: <
I said almost!!!

:twisted:
Joey

Postby tisri » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:09 am

joey wrote:>who is almost willing to dance naked on the bar to get enough people into the shop :oops: <
I said almost!!!

:twisted:

Hmmm... an interesting form of advertising. Hopefully you won't need to resort to it!
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby larsb » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:58 pm

joey wrote:why? will you come and visit me? ;-)

Certainly - as will other toomuchcoffians, I'm sure - if I happen to go to Vienna some time.
larsb

Postby Joey » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:54 pm

Report - 3rd of September:
Half of the wooden platform (podium) is finished, and the yellow for the ceiling is a bit too squeaking in my opinion.
Luke, my head barista from Pennsylvania has arrived and brought me some coffee from Vivace (vita), Gimme Coffee (left hander + platinum blonde) and Intelligentsia (Black Cat). He then joined me today during the interviews with possible employees. At the end he asked 3 questions in English. I am surprised how many languages some of the students speak! I even have a Brasilien guy who loves coffee and technique!!! Isn't that great???

One of the attendees was a guy formerly working for Starbucks. Hmmm. Nice guy, absolutely good for customer service, but I have the feeling he would like to rule the shop adneverybody else. He denies it when asked, but I pretty much have the feeling he will have troubles with the other employees.

Got a new toy as a present from one of my retailers, see pic below.

And I fell from my chair when I read the prices for cool-tables (the cooled drawers for under the bar, where you can store bottles) one about 2 meters with 6 drawers and one door costs about 2900 Euro! You fin dme roaming ebay very often recently ;-)

Enough for today.

Next report will follow.
Joey
Attachments
P1010005 copy.jpg
P1010005 copy.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 12493 times
Joey

Postby Raf » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:48 am

Is that a thing to store roasted beans in? Needs a bit of cleaning :)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:34 pm

yep, it was used for that purpose. either you took out a portion with the upper shovel that looks llike a funnel, or if you turn that circled handle in any direction, a gap opens and coffee flows out. I did clean it after taking the photo, but still wouldn't use it as storage. Just decoration.
joey
Joey

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee