Cafe gusto and Coffee #1 in Bristol

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi Guys & ever so pretty Gals :wink:
It's always nice to see people showing concern for the way the forum is treated!

For the record, in situations like this, the member involved is contacted privately and requested to edit their own post. At times this may make it appear as though the site admin are not doing their "job" and contentious posts sometimes remain on the site for longer than they should. However, we prefer to treat our members with due respect and in situations like this ask them to edit their own posts, in their own words, rather than be censored publicly by the mods. It is also often the case that a short discussion arises between the Mods/Admins before any action/contact is made, which ensures that responses are balanced and represent the opinion of the whole team and not just an individual. In many respects editing posts directly and remonstrating people in public would be far easier and quicker, but it goes completely against the atmosphere we have tried to create. I hope this makes things a little clearer and gives people an idea as to how the site is run.

We like to think of TMC as a friendly place, open to pretty much anyone (we let Cakey in after all!). All we ask is that members respect each other and the forum as a whole.

Thankfully we very rarely have to intervene, which must mean that somehow we've managed to attract a decent bunch of people :wink:
D
Gouezeri

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:37 pm

Gouezeri wrote:
(we let Cakey in after all!)

...which must mean that somehow we've managed to attract a decent bunch of people :wink:
D

:shock: :shock:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:50 pm

Hey, I didn't say everyone... there are a fair few old codgers too :P
Gouezeri

Postby BazBean » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:07 pm

your 100% correct Dom,
and as usual people who have been entrusted to look after the interests of our forum do so with dignity and respect both in open forum and in private, in both dealing with the people involved including the individuals posting replys such as myself.

I did think long and hard about my reply before doing so, but conclued that I am guilty of letting others make the place such a wonderull forum and not doing my bit.

The comments and specifcally the method of how these things are dealt with are duely taken on board and shall be respected 100% and for the tiresless work of the unpaid people within the forum and provide free of charge the facility,I shall remain once again greatfull.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 pm

Just to make things clear, my comments weren't specifically aimed at you Baz, far from it, more of a general statement to everyone, so that members have a better idea of how things are dealt with. If anything, I was making the most of the occasion to explain how TMC works, as in the past there have been misunderstandings due to the private manner in which we prefer to resolve problems.

Membership has grown a lot recently which sometimes makes it hard for us to deal with things as quickly as we would like. Which is why if anybody notices any problems or issues it is always worthwhile sending the admin a quick note, just in case. Feedback that we get from members is always useful and well taken, and helps make the site what it is.

If there was a problem with any of your comments above Baz, then as everybody now knows, you would have received a PM asking you to edit your post :D

D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:59 pm

The Puppy Pamperer wrote:Hi Guys & ever so pretty Gals :wink:

bruceb wrote:
Gouezeri wrote:
(we let Cakey in after all!)

...which must mean that somehow we've managed to attract a decent bunch of people :wink:
D

:shock: :shock:

Ain't I purdy too .......? :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Mitch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:13 pm

If there was a problem with any of your comments above Baz, then as everybody now knows, you would have received a PM asking you to edit your post

Baz, don't take that as a challenge to get the PM "badge of honour", its no way as valuable as an ASBO.

...i'll keep checking my inbox!
Greens | Gene | Super Jolly | Zaffiro | RB | Grindenstein

3..2..1 you're back in the room
Mitch

Postby Leechampion » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:44 am

Apologies for my mistake in not reading the Forum members details. It was not my intention to upset anybody. I just thought that someone opening a new business may benefit from some professional advice?
Leechampion

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:54 am

No problem Lee. Everyone is allowed to make one mistake around here...and some of us make thousands. Image Just take that big purple fellow. Please!

Relax and join us in a good cup of coffee. Yes, we certainly can benefit from professional advice. Many of us are interested in opening up a shop of one kind or other. It's reassuring to know that there are people here who have experience and are generous enough to share it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

ME

Postby Kaffiene » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 pm

I didnt realise I was supposed to tell everyone about myself but im a 21 yo female whos close to graduating and wanting to start a coffee :lol: business in the Bristol/Bath area. Hi everyone... what else dya wanna know??
Kaffiene

Re: ME

Postby johnny » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Kaffiene wrote:im a 21 yo female wanting to start a coffee :lol: business ... what else dya wanna know??

Telephone number ? :wink:

Sorry ... sorry .. bad Johnny :twisted:

You studying in Bristol or Bath ? .... where do you rate for a decent coffee around these parts. ? ... oh and start the business in BRISTOL !!!!!!
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

RE: Re: ME

Postby Gadders » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:55 pm

Went to the Bristol uni open day today (prospective engineer) and popped into "boston tea party" whilst mooching around.

Hmmm, dissapointing. They have 2 super jolly's and 1 mini, laden with post it notes on them, along with 2 old school (dirty looking) faemas, and a hand tamper. I ordered a double espresso.

The barista did several thwacks over the doser handle (not just 2 which is what happens to me most often) so there was a nice pile in the basket, but to distribute he just swiped over the top of the PF with the doser lid (hmm.) He then proceded to very very unenthusiastically 'tamp' (with a stamp grip), knock then 'tamp' again. For the record the 'tamp' was more like a prod than anything else. Rammed the PF home in the group and poured a not very tasty looking fairly blonde sub 25 sec shot.

To make matters worse, the espresso was sitting on the raised drip tray on the machine for about 2 minutes before anybody served it!

Resulting cup was watery, blonde uniform crema and bitter.

All the gear but no idea im afraid! :(

Annoyingly, a cafe gusto up the hill had a brand new la spaz s5 in it! grrr
Gadders

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:15 pm

Thing is mate, despite the P pour technique, I bet you it would have tasted ok if the beans had been fresh! That said, when you look at how dirty most machines and shot glasses are, it's no surprise the majority of shots taste so bad.

Don't forget when choosing prospective Uni's to try out the pubs too :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Gadders » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:19 pm

hmm good point! :)

haha, will do :P
Gadders

Postby garye » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Visited Gusto on whiteladies road and was impressed with the attempt at Latte art.
Nice coffee too.
Frustratingly better than any of my attempts presently. The misses just keeps taking the mick at my attempts.
More practice more coffee :D
La Spaziale S1 Mk2
garye

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee