coffee in prague?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

coffee in prague?

Postby toast21 » Thu May 03, 2007 3:04 pm

so i'm taking my gf to prague for her 30th birthday... anyone know if there are any good coffee shops there? I know there's been 2 posts.. one in 2006 and one alot earlier than that :)

Anyone able to give me some more up to date info please? :D :lol:
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

RE: coffee in prague?

Postby Jaanus » Thu May 03, 2007 10:31 pm

not helping much but as far as I`ve heard, Prague has some rather cheap beer to offer ;)
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

RE: coffee in prague?

Postby lukas » Thu May 03, 2007 11:22 pm

Oh yes, and they have also some really great beers down there :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby toast21 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:02 pm

lol... i suppose it doesn't help that i dont drink beer :(
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby bruceb » Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Toasty, I haven't been back to Prague for a few years, but I am looking forward to hearing from you about the coffee situation. I have friends there and could ask them, but I think they are much more interested in wine than in coffee, so it probably won't do much good.

Some years ago in Prague I ordered a cappuccino in a rather nice bar with a large espresso machine and they served me something from N*stlé out of a packet. When I asked why they did that they said no one knew how to operate the machine. I offered to teach them, but then they admitted it wasn't connected up and they didn't have any beans. :roll:

I hope you have better luck. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Ed » Thu May 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Go to the Astronomical Clock and turn left. In the right hand corner there is (or was two years ago) a cafe with tables and brollies outside. That was our favourite place when we were there. Can't remember what the coffee was like but wouldn't have gone back if it had been bad. Plenty of places there around the Old Town Square.

There's always the Kafka Cafe in the Castle. Long on atmosphere and short on actual quality as I remember.

Ed

PS if you are looking for a place to stay this is very good.

Hotel U Zlatych Nuzek (The Golden Scissors)
6 Na Kampe, Praha 1, Prague 118 00, Czech Republic
Tel: +420 257 530 473
Ed

Postby LeedsPokerGuru » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:48 pm

How did you get on in prague fella?

I'm heading out to prague in 2 weeks and the algarve a month later. Looking forward to sampling both countries coffee in a short space of time.

Any cafes you'd suggest on visiting???
- Izzo Vivi
- Macap MC4
- Dualit/Solis Grinder
- Aeropress
- French Press
- A whole lot of patience :)
LeedsPokerGuru

Postby RolandGlew » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:40 am

This is quite out of date information, but anyway -

We visited Prague in 2008. Nothing particularly stood out in terms of the coffee, but my favourite cafe by far was http://www.uzelenehocaje.cz/

It's on the hill up to the Castle, and is a lovely little tea shop. It serves coffee, as well as mulled wine and mulled mead (and of course is open into the evening - that area of the town is relatively quiet in the evening btw), but it's main strength is teas - it has a huge range of green, white and black teas.

It was a fairly late discovery on our visit, but definitely one I recommend to others - it's just a lovely place. I vaguely remember the turkish coffee I had as being okay, and the green tea as fairly good, but the stand out memory is sat with a bowl of mulled mead, reading a book, after dinner.
3 Cup Chemex, Hario Syphon, French Press, 5 Ibrik, Stove Top/Moka Pot, Pour Over, Hario V60, Kalita Wave, Kantans, AeroPress, Vario Grinder, Porlex hand grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder, Turkish Hand Grinder Missing Handle :P
RolandGlew

Return to Places to drink coffee