Coffee and Espresso Equipment in Vienna (Austria)

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee and Espresso Equipment in Vienna (Austria)

Postby sdelgran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:05 pm

One may think that a good espresso is easy to find in Vienna. Well, let me tell it is not. I have tried half a dozen places already and the coffee was extremely bad (as stale as it gets especially).

A taxi driver recommended a coffee shop called Demmel. Haven't had a chance yet.

I am also looking for a place to buy a good tamper (or two). If you have any idea it would be much appreciated! :wink:
sdelgran

Postby Serrano » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Mocca Club is supposed to be awesome: http://www.moccaclub.com
Coffee and cigars from Cuba, rum from Guatemala.
Serrano

Postby leecb » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:34 pm

You must go and see Joey at the Mocca Club! She's a member of the "Cafes which produce great coffee" club too.
Have a look at the "Birth of The Mocca Club" on the coffee diaries at the bottom left of the blue band page.
I'm dying to go there, almost an excuse to go to Vienna. :wink:
She has fresh beans, single origin coffees and I think she sells equipment too, so maybe you can find a tamper...
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby sdelgran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:38 pm

Guys: YOU ARE GREAT!!!

My hotel is just around the corner from the moka club. I could I miss that. Besides I remember reading about it (uh?).

Thanks... I go now! :D
sdelgran

Postby lukas » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:06 pm

Have fun :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby leecb » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:14 pm

Let us know how you get on and if you see Joey say HI from us all!

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby sdelgran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:17 pm

Ooops, I posted a reply and it does not show. Probably my connection. So here I go again with a shorter version.

Went to the Moka Club but Joey was not there. Had a double ristretto anyway! It was pretty good. Ground a bit too fine and few crema however. Anyway, I won't make too many comments as I am probably not a better barista than these guys and I know how difficult it is to get a perfect shot.

I thought I would buy some roasted beans. I asked what beans had been roasted today or this week. Well, none the girl said. Fine, so when was it roasted? Well, the labels on the packets say January or February. I said I would prefer something a lot fresher. I was told it would not even be good. The coffee would have no flavour. I did not answer...

Anyway, apart from this, I like the place and its atmosphere. The best of it is the self-service Gene Caffe at the entrance with a few kind of green beans to blend from and then roast. I guess I will give it a try tomorrow as I haven't tried a Gene Caffe yet and was considering it... This is very cool! I have a picture if you like.

Maybe I will see Joey tomorrow.
Machines: Pasquini Livia 90 | Brasilia Club | Gaggia Mini
Grinders: Pasquini Moka 90 | Brasilia BDF | Compak K6
Roasters: Turbo Crazy | Modded Popper
sdelgran

Postby sdelgran » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Mod's Edit: Photo(s) resized to fit page. No worries SD, I know you can't do it because you are using internet cafes and borrowed connections whilst on your trip :D
Attachments
14Anonyme-20001110-234837b.jpg
14Anonyme-20001110-234837b.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 6668 times
sdelgran

Postby leecb » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:58 pm

That looks like a lot of fun...

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby jumper » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 am

wow nevverheard of that before, selfservice roastig cool, someone do that in the netherlands!
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:20 am

That Gene Cafe idea looks like great fun :D . Sorry to hear about the roasted beans though :(

Hope you are enjoying everthing. Vienna is a lovely city :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby phil2spill » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:52 am

sdelgran wrote:The best of it is the self-service Gene Caffe at the entrance with a few kind of green beans to blend from and then roast.

What a great idea :D
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby sdelgran » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 pm

(Sorry about the picture size... Thanks for the edit)

So we had brunch at the Mocca Club this morning. Very nice! Recommended (if you like sweet brunch and 3 hot drinks...)

I roasted some Mexican Peaberries with the Gene Cafe. I was a bit confused by this set-and-forget equipment. I usually do artistic roast-profiling with my modified popper. 1.5 minute before the end of the roast the current tripped! Aaaaarrghhh, my beans!!! stuck in the Gene Cafe... The waiter was quick to put the current back and I could get the beans out. I ended up with a medium roast.

I could not hear any crack. Not sure why as it was my first time with peaberries and the roaster.

In any case, the coffee shop is great. I would change the music (it repeats endlessly). Vienna is wonderful as well.
Machines: Pasquini Livia 90 | Brasilia Club | Gaggia Mini
Grinders: Pasquini Moka 90 | Brasilia BDF | Compak K6
Roasters: Turbo Crazy | Modded Popper
sdelgran

Postby lukas » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Uh, the repeating music issue is common in busy places, I think. If you make coffee back to back it's hard to find time to choose another CD ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Return to Places to drink coffee