Coffee in Shanghai

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee in Shanghai

Postby basvk » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:15 am

I know this ain't Europe, but does anyone maybe have any recommendations for good coffee in Shanghai?

Until now I've had an ok experience at a place called SPR coffee on Heng Shan road and another place called Manabe (japanese chain) near the indoor stadium (they used french press and drip). For the rest I've only had Illy or Starbucks which I only like in a cold drink :lol:

I'll keep looking as I'm here for another two weeks, I'll keep you posted in case anyone goes to Shanghai sometime.

Bas
faema ariete hx single group in parts, french press of unknown origin
basvk

Postby basvk » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:18 pm

Replying to myself: had a nice espresso today at Boonna coffee 2 (they're are two boonna coffee shops in Shanghai) on fu xing xi road nr 57. My girlfriend had a nice cappucino with a big heart in latte art on it! The taste was great also. The cheese cake was also really nice, and the price reasonable. Finally found a place to go to. 8)
basvk

Postby Beanie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:33 pm

thanks Bas - I'll try to remember that if I'm ever in Shanghai :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby P.B » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:33 pm

I've had reasonable coffee (NOT espresso) at DIO coffee houses. There are a few of those in Nanchang so I'd assume they'll be in Shanghai too as Nanchang is pretty much the end of the coffee world... Even Starbucks haven't landed there yet!

It sounds like you're having a lot more luck than I did finding drinkable coffee.

Paul.
P.B

Postby leecb » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:01 pm

Hope you are having fun too 8)
Very jealous :lol:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby basvk » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:16 pm

P.B wrote:I've had reasonable coffee (NOT espresso) at DIO coffee houses. There are a few of those in Nanchang so I'd assume they'll be in Shanghai too as Nanchang is pretty much the end of the coffee world... Even Starbucks haven't landed there yet!

It sounds like you're having a lot more luck than I did finding drinkable coffee.

Paul.

The places I found are all quite close to the area with embassies and consulates, so I guess the coffee standards rise due to the foreigners around :)
I'll check if there is a DIO coffee house around here somewhere, thanks for the tip!

Oh and yes, I have a lot of fun here, especially with the food. :mrgreen:
I fill my days with smiling and bowing to all kinds of aunts and uncles, cousins and other people we have to visit (for something they call "red pocket money" - a small red new year envelope with content), and complimenting their knowledge of the word "hello" in english (which is almost more than my knowledge of chinese :) )
basvk

Postby P.B » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:53 pm

basvk wrote:I fill my days with smiling and bowing to all kinds of aunts and uncles, cousins and other people we have to visit (for something they call "red pocket money" - a small red new year envelope with content), and complimenting their knowledge of the word "hello" in english (which is almost more than my knowledge of chinese :) )

Try this document. It was written by a Yank so the phonetic spelling needs to be done with an American accent... It won't make you fluent but at least you'll be able to say thanks whilst grinning and bowing :D

Paul.
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

P.B

Postby toast21 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:11 pm

basvk wrote:Oh and yes, I have a lot of fun here, especially with the food. :mrgreen:
I fill my days with smiling and bowing to all kinds of aunts and uncles, cousins and other people we have to visit (for something they call "red pocket money" - a small red new year envelope with content), and complimenting their knowledge of the word "hello" in english (which is almost more than my knowledge of chinese :) )

You're also supposed to give out those red packets (ang pow - spelt phoenetically and depends on where you're from) if you're married :) . Be kind on your pocket, dont get married! :D :lol:
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby basvk » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:52 am

P.B: thanks for the document! My gf translated it for me in shanghainese pronunciation :)

toast21: you hit the nail on the head: we're not married yet.... My gf told me that the last time you get "red pocket money" is at the actual marriage :)
basvk

Postby bogner » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:18 am

P.B wrote:... Nanchang is pretty much the end of the coffee world... Even Starbucks haven't landed there yet!

they haven't landed in Denmark yet either - but we've got a lot of others that compare :D
you may think you can fly, but you better not try ...

IZZO VIVI | MACAP MC4 | ZASSENHAUS 156 | MOCCAMASTER | SWISSGOLD | BEANS & CUPS & STUFF
never underestimate the importance of a good grinder!!!
bogner

Return to Places to drink coffee