Coffee in Japan

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee in Japan

Postby phil2spill » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:16 pm

Given that the Japanese buy up the lion's share of the Blue Mountain crop, as well as other fine beans, does anyone know what they actually do with them? I've never heard a thing about how coffee is prepared there. Anyone know?

Thanks
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby wvb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 pm

I know they mix fine wine with cola because they don't like the taste of wine :shock:
one can only imagine what they do with coffee.. :roll:
wvb

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:46 am

Perhaps they feed it to their cats and wait for it to reappear and .... and .... :roll: :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:29 pm

The coffee culture is meant to be very good out there. The blue mountain thing is a thorn in their side if you ask their coffee buyers. But you only have to look at where the lions share of Cup of excellence coffee goes to realise how much they are into there coffee.

A friend who visited told me that they really like the fine things, the food quality blew him away. And supermarket shopping he said was of a much higher standard in general.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mattmills » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:16 am

The japanese market is a strange one. Generally the quality is pretty good, acidity is highly appreciated, although fruityness is not.
One of the biggest segments of the market is the canned coffee. Remarkably again the quality is pretty good.
The actual buying structure is fairly odd, and dominated by a few big players, and the rest of the buyers go through these guys.
mattmills

Postby tap » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:40 pm

refreshing!

just back from japan. ended up ashamed of cafe culture here(finlnd).
i'm saying nothing bout espresso as a fan of filtered but it is filtered that is great or fabulous overthere. how is filtered so overlooked and crap around here?blows me puzzle... :shock:
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Postby mattmills » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:52 pm

On of the best aspects is that the Japanese highly value the work done by the exporters and are always willing to pay a little more for the coffee they want.
Sometimes the story of the special coffee has as much weight as the coffee itself, but from an origin perspective the Japanese are always a highly valued client.
mattmills

Postby Ed » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:56 am

Ed

Postby tap » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:07 pm

it has gotten really trendy past 2years. after i came back to eu. now there`s speciality coffee all over the place. shelves full of magazines and books bout places to drink and ways to brew to coffee chemistry. its been moving from masters to younger folks which probably is behind the great publicity. though anyways people who take it seriously take it really seriously, trend or not...
lately mostly drinking coffee or tea
tap

Return to Places to drink coffee