Cafe equipment

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cafe equipment

Postby Bassclef » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:01 am

I, like I am certain all of you, look over the counter and gaze with interest what equipment the cafe/pub/restaurant has. Today I was quite surprised to find myself served from a 4 group Rancilo lever-operated machine! I have not seen a lever operated machine EVER in a cafe before. Are these common?

Unfortunately the barista thought "macchiato" meant "strong cappucino" but I am used to that now. Still - anyone else seen interesting equipment in places near you?

Also - last night I was in a pub, and this is no gastropub let me tell you! They had an Elektra 2 group machine - brand spanking new - clean and shiny. Next to it was a MASSIVE Mazzer - not sure which one it was (the hopper was could have held 2kg I am sure).

Although I applaud this pub their purchase of good equipment (anyone know of Electra 2 group machine?) I can't help but think that NO ONE will have a clue how to use it... and most of the clientele would be happy with a Kenco machine anyway... sigh. But still - it's a trend (linking this to the "getting it" thread) that shows that regular access to quality coffee is just over the horizon.

Hmmm - I wonder if they would let me pull my own shots!

Marc
Bassclef

Postby bainesy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:10 am

Oh those Elektras are surprisingly common :drool: - was it one of these?
http://www.elektrasrl.com/modern_models.shtml.

You don't see many lever machines in cafes in England, although Bar Italia has a huge old Gaggia lever, and Danny McNulty, who occasionally posts here, has a trailer in ?Southampton with a 70s Gaggia/Visacrem lever.

It is absolutely astounding when you think how much owners (or more often management companies) must fork out for equipment and service on fantastic machines that they WILL NEVER TAKE THE FLIPPING TROUBLE TO USE PROPERLY.

Cafes with La Marzoccos seem to take more care than most though.
Iberital 1-group, Compak grinder, Gaggia Classic, Rocky, 2 x Europiccola, 2 x Zassenhaus...got...to...stop...collecting
bainesy

Postby Bassclef » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:19 am

It was a DS-1 or the T-S certainly - although memory is a bit hazy - I was on a mission involving beer at the time! I saw it, so shiny and lovely, and did think it a shame it would most probably never be used properly... sigh. It's a sin, really!

The lever machine DID look a bit aged - although perfectly serviceable! The shots pulled seemed a little fast however... does the same '27 second benchmark' stay true with lever machines?

If anyone would like to see the machine, out of curiosity of course, it's at PumbleChucks in the Thomas More Square complex directly east of St. Katherine's Dock... which is of course east of the Tower of London...

Marc
Bassclef

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:55 am

Bassclef wrote:
If anyone would like to see the machine, out of curiosity of course, it's at PumbleChucks in the Thomas More Square complex directly east of St. Katherine's Dock... which is of course east of the Tower of London...

Hmm, name doesn't ring a bell... got to admit the starbucks in the middle is a wonderful location, just wished they served decent coffee :wink: still, great view
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Bassclef » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:29 pm

The one in St. Katherine's Dock? Agreed - wonderful location, quirky architecture... I haven't even bothered going in. Although I do love dipping their ginger biscuits in milk foam... is that a sin?
Bassclef

Postby mhuk » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:01 pm

most of the clientele would be happy with a Kenco

If you and I can taste the difference then I'm sure most (everyone) can as well? Many may accept the quality of Kenco but I'm sure they'd also appreciate a real coffee as well.

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis

Bezzera BZ99s * Mazzer SJ * Hottop
mhuk

Postby Bassclef » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:40 am

Well that raises an interesting point. The differences in flavour between a good espresso and a bad espresso are remarkably huge. But those differences are literally 'watered down' when drunk by the vast majority of consumers. Add milk and sugar to that, and you end up with very few people, in my opinion, able to distinguish between good coffee and merely adequate.

However - there is still no excuse for instant, as no matter WHAT quality of instant you use, it still tastes nothing remotely (in my opinion) like coffee.

Marc
Bassclef

Return to Places to drink coffee