I've been away for the weekend

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Where do you go for a shot of espresso away from home

I'd rather go without Thank you!
18%
Costa Coffee
No votes
Starbucks
18%
Cafe Nero
9%
Coffee Republic
No votes
Another Chain (Let us know who in a post)
No votes
Independant coffee Retailer
55%

Total votes : 11

I've been away for the weekend

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:53 pm

I've been away for the weekend (for those of you who dont know I'm a big Sunderland Football fan so travel up quite a lot and stay over) and without the ability to take my own coffee as the Hotel get a bit funny with me taking in my Simoneli oscar. So what to do.

I normally like to find out an independant, but the only choices I found where Greasy spoons with Kenco, in Durham. So I went for Cafe Nero as they normally arn't too bad. I ordered a double Espresso, I has the "are you sure know what espresso is" routine, politley I said yes. He ground tamped and pulled. Ready in 15 seconds, and he had the cheek to ask me If I knew what espresso was. So I start my free training course. Luckly the guy was really interested (and empty). By this time Sarah had drunk here Latte and was off out round Durham (embarassed by me talking coffee on our weekend away). It works out the guy has been given so little training. He soaks up the basic stuff I'm giving him (tamping doseing brushing of top of portafilter grind etc ...) and then we get a great shot, he tries agrees and I have to go, but left feeling I'd done my bit for coffee in the North East.

Any way the reaso for the psot was where do you go if your away from home and in need of a shot. Vote as you wish.

Another side issue I noticed they have some good bags of coffee to take home in Nero (Cachoeira for one), never new they sold good stuff.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:56 pm

I just came back from 3 days in the Mösel valley in Germany. It's the second time I've been and I can highly recommend it.. (For those in the UK Ryanair flys from Stansted to Frankfurt Hahn for chips). Anyway about the coffee. Of course I did not expect to find any good coffee (we went for the wine and the sun anyway) I have found the only way I can enjoy a cup is to have either german homebrew or ask for a cappucino mit sahn (cream) at the cafes. It may not be the best coffee in the world but if you pretend it's a coffee flavoured hot drink, then it goes down a lot better.

Just my 0.02c
-D
p.s. I love the German hospitality.
Danny

Postby Sunnyfield » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:47 pm

Starbucks, because I know what I will get. Although it won't be a God-shot, it will be at the lower end of acceptable. In Amsterdam I will do Brandmeesters or Coffee Company.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby quink » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:18 pm

I always used to go to a guy with a mobile coffee wagon, who had set up around the corner from where I worked. Dont know if anyone has ever been to Bristol but he was set up just out side a place called the Victoria Rooms, bit of a tourist place. I used this guy so much that he started to give me adiscount :D Everything was done properly though grind, tamp and pull time. Havn't worked around there for some years now think he may have give up doing it now :(
quink

Return to Places to drink coffee