Coffee in Berkshire and Oxfordshire, UK

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Coffee in Berkshire and Oxfordshire, UK

Postby Scudcow » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:01 pm

Sorry if anyone has written about this before.

Are there any cafes that people recommend in Berkshire and Oxfordshire for good coffee and or good atmposphere?

Reading actually has 3 or 4 nice cafes to sit in but the coffee tends to range from bad to undrinkable. This is a real shame given that at least one of those places is one of the best places I have found to hang out and waste a good few hours in - but without a decent cup of coffee by my hand I just cannot do anything productive in the place!
Rancilio 2 group S-series
KitchenAid grinder (modded to stepless)
And a growing addiction to sweet sweet espresso.
Scudcow

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:53 pm

If there are any serving decent coffee in Oxfordshire, I am yet to find them :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby oddlight » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:37 pm

Santa Fe Coffee Company in Bracknell Ottakers (nee Hamicks). Because they have a sign up that says remmember: 20 - 24 second pour ...

Very busy though. IMHO, best time is before the shops are open, which for us is around Sunday morning 10.30..

~A
oddlight

Postby phil2spill » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:43 pm

The owners of Hill and Valley (roasters) bought a cafe in Aylesbury ca. 2001 and it was voted in the top 3 cafes in the UK in about 2002/3 by a broadsheet. I had a top espresso or 2 there. Not sure whether they still run it though . . .

Oh, and Aylesbury is in Bucks, but it's quite close to Oxon :)
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby bainesy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:13 pm

phil2spill wrote:The owners of Hill and Valley (roasters) bought a cafe in Aylesbury ca. 2001 and it was voted in the top 3 cafes in the UK in about 2002/3 by a broadsheet. I had a top espresso or 2 there. Not sure whether they still run it though . . .

Oh, and Aylesbury is in Bucks, but it's quite close to Oxon :)

I thought of mentioning this place, but had decided to leave it for now. Charlie and Debbie Massey (a.k.a. "The owners of Hill and Valley") initially let the Coffee Tree (the shop in question) to a well-meaning but idiosyncratic chap, a bit of an eco-warrior who more or less ejected people if they asked why none of his sandwiches contained meat products. They then sold up to some people who've cleaned it up a bit, and sell nice quality sandwiches etc. They serve, and sell in bean form, Charlie's coffee, but I don't feel they always do it (the coffee) justice.

It's by far the best coffee in Aylesbury, but that's not a difficult thing to achieve. It might be the best coffee in the area, but nor is that...
Iberital 1-group, Compak grinder, Gaggia Classic, Rocky, 2 x Europiccola, 2 x Zassenhaus...got...to...stop...collecting
bainesy

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:30 am

Sounds like it is worth a visit Bainesy. Has to be way better than the usual chains :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:24 am

oddlight wrote:Santa Fe Coffee Company in Bracknell Ottakers (nee Hamicks). Because they have a sign up that says remmember: 20 - 24 second pour ...

Very busy though. IMHO, best time is before the shops are open, which for us is around Sunday morning 10.30..

~A

Be assured that these people will dodge the Great Big Burning Fire and go straight to that nice place.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby KateM » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:04 pm

After a considerable time away from TMC pressure of work/degree/family life etc etc spotted this thread and had to stick my oar in - can confirm Cakeboy's observation that it is impossible to get a decent cup of coffee in Oxfordshire - plenty of places with a pleasing ambiance and reasonable food etc but absolutely c**p coffee.
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Postby AndyS » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 pm

erm - well, ah...y'see - it's really scary suggesting places - incase you're outed as a complete lul with no taste! BUT...I drank good coffee in G&D's in Oxford. It was a cappu. Good atmosphere, rather friendly staff, good cakes and ice cream too. Go in there and read, write, chat, flap or just hang. can get busy, a really popular place. 2 group Rancilio semiauto, if memory serves me right. <YMMV> Now - shall I post, or hit delete. ah buggrit <click>

A.
================
1987 Rancilio L6
================
Bodum cafetiere
================
AndyS

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi Kate, good to see you back. G&D's Andy? Sorry, I'm being totally dim but can't work out what the G&D stand for? Doh :oops: :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby AndyS » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:45 am

here y'go, G&D's:

http://www.touchoxford.com/business/list/bid/1327115

map and all.

good luck,

A.
================
1987 Rancilio L6
================
Bodum cafetiere
================
AndyS

Postby phil2spill » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:38 pm

George and Davis. They're open until midnight too - great for those late-night ice-cream cravings :oP
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:00 pm

Sounds lovely :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby KateM » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:54 am

Sounds interesting might have to pay G & D a visit (like you Cakeboy must admit couldn't work G & D out). One of Jonathan's other passions is ice cream so this could be a double treat.
Gaggia TD, Rocky, Hottop; misc. Bodum FPs , old ''Cona Standard'' and well worn JonathanM
KateM

Postby Scudcow » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:49 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Seems to be a definite need for good coffee in this area of the country!
Since that seems to be a tough criteria how about the places with a good atmosphere?
You know a nice bohemian, sit around and waste the whole day reading or writing kind of feel?

In Reading I would recommend the Afrobar just of Friar Street as the best place for such. Good sandwiches aswell.
Also up near the university is a little Brazilian place called Pau Brasil. Again nice food and a good atmosphere. Shame it is 20 minutes walk out of town though.
Rancilio 2 group S-series
KitchenAid grinder (modded to stepless)
And a growing addiction to sweet sweet espresso.
Scudcow

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee