Flat White

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Flat White

Postby gelandenwagen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:43 pm

Would you expect said establishment to alter the blend or roast on various days?

Simple reason for asking as I don't trust my taste buds and revisited last week to taste a pleasant cup of expresso but very different to before.

While I'm trying to get a grounding makes me feel uneasy to ask the counter staff in a busy bar and from a position of ignorance.
gelandenwagen

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:10 pm

If they were both nice but appeared different, it shouldn't be an issue to ask if it was a different blend. We all taste things differently at various times so even if it was you there is no shame in it. Perhaps you got a different barista and the pour was at the opposite end of the 20-30 second pull range thus explaining the still nice but different effect.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby fiend » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:31 am

I went in there last year and asked them about their blend. They were more than happy to talk about it. At that stage they were getting them fairly regularly from Monmouth, but were thinking of roasting there own if I remember correctly.

The other thing is that you may have had different extractions each time. From what I saw of the people working there, they would probably be more than happy to make it again if you said that it was a bit bitter or blond or something like that.
Hot air gun roaster, Mazzer Mini E, La Pavoni Europiccola, Aeropress
http://lapavoni.info/
http://otherwiseitwouldbequiet.blogspot.com/
fiend

Postby hairy.bob » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:25 am

Went to both Flat White and Monmouth yesterday - fantastic espresso and Mrs HB really appreciated her capp at FW. Having bought beans at both Monmouth locations I can wholeheartedly recommend that you go to Borough Market. The bean buyers are separated from the coffee buyers, the staff are a *LOT* less grumpy and willing to talk about the coffee. If you can, get served by the ?Canadian girl with short dark hair who is very helpful indeed.
La Pavoni Professional
Generic Glass FP
Moka Pot
Mazzer Mini E
hairy.bob

Postby nickr » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:17 pm

That's what I like about FW. The whole setup is less hectic than both braches of Monmouth, better queing system and better seating.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby gelandenwagen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:23 pm

>That's what I like about FW. The whole setup is less hectic than both braches of Monmouth, better queing system and better seating.<

That's true.
I didn't intend any critisism of FW, I enjoyed both drinks, I was just surprised at the difference in taste or the failing of my memory over a week.
I'm used to a lottery when making my own coffee and didn't expect the difference at the shop. So much so I wondered whether they changed blends or how come the maker is so influential with well understood good quality commercial equipment.
gelandenwagen

Postby Steem21 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:40 am

I'll add my "thumbs for " for Flat White. Went there last weekend and had a lovely, chocolately smooth espresso chased down with some much needed cool minty water. Mind you, it was difficult staying inside because of the sweltering heat. Will definitely go back again. Incidently, I bought some of their beans (from Monmouth) and I got the same tastes and textures at home as I did in the shop. Nice.
La Spaziale Vivaldi II, Mazzer Mini E, Aerobie Aeropress
Steem21

Postby kingseven » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 am

I swear they are running their machine just a little too cool. I think it is down at 89C, which is just not hot enough to balance out the espresso. I keep telling them, but I suspect I am just going to have to turn up one day with a Scace and a screwdriver to prove my point!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:57 pm

kingseven wrote
I swear they are running their machine just a little too cool.

Don't give them too many of your secrets. James the Oz barista at Flat White, has already pinched your hair-gel. http://tinyurl.com/kq5fj (page 5)
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby kingseven » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:33 pm

Is it me or does he pull a 50 second shot there?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:27 pm

Strange - the video appears to have been removed.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:20 pm

Kingseven wrote
Is it me or does he pull a 50 second shot there?

Yep

Cakeboy wrote
Strange - the video appears to have been removed

Yep and anticipating your next questions ; do they read this forum? and is James barred for ever ......... Yep and yep.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby nickr » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:06 pm

My wife and I were in there on Monday and had the most superb flat white ever. Great latte art, unbelievable sweetness. Must try some Monmouth beans at home. Love the place. Pity its sooooooo hot.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby Steem21 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:29 pm

Darn - should have tried the Flat White! I felt bad throwing back the Espresso, buying a bag of beans and then hot-footing out of there in the space of 2 minutes! It was SO hot inside - and all the outside benches were taken.....sigh.....must come down again!
La Spaziale Vivaldi II, Mazzer Mini E, Aerobie Aeropress
Steem21

Postby JamesindaEU » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:43 am

kingseven wrote:Is it me or does he pull a 50 second shot there?

not very happy with that video, the length of the extraction being just one thing. it wasn't 50 seconds but it was bad. I did do some better shots. was playing around the Rune decides to put the video on the net :P. had good fun in copehagen with those guys. Don't worry at flat white i do all my extractions the way Cameron wants them.

Would you expect said establishment to alter the blend or roast on various days?

The blend changed a little back in June (colombian was replaced with indian, can't tell you what estates), but nothing more recent.

cumberpach wrote:Don't give them too many of your secrets. James the Oz barista at Flat White, has already pinched your hair-gel.

My hair gel is also imported from Australia as its better (although you may say worse) than all the stuff over here.

kingseven wrote:I swear they are running their machine just a little too cool. I think it is down at 89C, which is just not hot enough to balance out the espresso. I keep telling them, but I suspect I am just going to have to turn up one day with a Scace and a screwdriver to prove my point!

Cam hears you on that one. it tends to get forgotten about though. it should be at 91. maybe you should go in one day and play with it!

Well I'm off to go and enjoy a 5 second extraction in berlin.
JamesindaEU

Return to Places to drink coffee