Bad Coffee Days

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby stigin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:22 am

Steve wrote: (there are millions who ENJOY soluble, microwave meals, meat from the supermarket and blended whisky)

Hey! there are excelent blended whiskies around. :twisted: But verrrry little. J&B is the incarnation of the coffee horror stories for whisky (luckily it is easy to recognise).

Stigin, sipping a 1989 single cask dalwhinie at purrrrfect temprature 8)
life's too short to drink bad coffee! Image
HasBean Beans -> Caffe Rosto -> Rocky Doserless -> Miss Silvia -> Me -> Grindenstein + Pallo
stigin

Postby BazBean » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:30 am

i Was just about to write pages n pages on bah, humbug everything and bother this and that ..... and then it occured to me .

if nothing changes...... nothing changes, i think Matt had a very very validpoint on the Wine / CAMRA situation. Now good wine and good beer has been around for years but i can recall especially in the Case of CAMRA that it took an age of tireless campaigning and forcing themselves onto TV programmes to have a small affect on the industry but the market share of real ale has increased steadilly over the last 20 years.
My point being is that it takes a credible organisation and an extremly large amount of work to make people aware or at least to expect more.
I do recall seeing these early tv programmes and local news spot thingys and the people who were speaking out were not suit and tie jobbys ... they were real people, who were passionate about their stuff and wanted to spread the gospel ..... mind you some were a little too "real" if you follow, especially on the CAMRA side ... tv studios were awash with mohair sweaters, organic leather sandals and Beards that day i do recall.

Ask not what your coffee shop or local roaster can do for you....... but what can you do for your ............blah blah.!!!!!

This is why i was pleased to see Steves (HB)SCAE posting on our suggestions. i await to see what will finally transpire there as well.

anyhow while the world is obviously oblivious to the sweet sweet taste of a loving prepared and exacuted espresso ...we are not, so i am off for my second eye opener of the day..
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:52 pm

Cakeboy wrote
Nail on the head Baz

Dosen't mean he can't enjoy a cappa.
Bazbean wrote
Ask not what your coffee shop or local roaster can do for you....... but what can you do for your ............blah blah.!!!!!

I guess it's up to us to launch a TMC Award of Merit under 1) espresso 2) press pot and 3) cafetiere - for coffee shops.
To prevent being sued, I would suggest just 3 categories :-

1. TMC award of excellence
2. Has potential (drinkable)
3. No Comment

In the same way that restaurants gain or lose stars, so a coffee shops rating could change, every time a TMC member visits.
Of course there's the possibility that a friend of the coffee shop owner, may join TMC to get his rating improved - but the member with a 100+ posts will be more believable than a 'newbie'.
It may be a nightmare for the Mods to manage - but it may be worth a trial run?

Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby BazBean » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:03 pm

Kingseven had a mapping blog (or Summit) which we all added our recomendations to a map of the UK which seemed to gather a bit of imputus but faded out. Ii rather fancied the idea was to become a link or integeral part of a thread/topic within TMC?

This never seemed to come to fruition despite the partial information collected it just seems to be floating somewhere out in cyberspace.or have i missed something there

what ever happened Jim to the info you painstakingly collected?
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby kingseven » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:57 pm

hmmm - the link died was saved as a bookmark on my now stolen laptop.

I am sure there is a link to it here somewhere though, in the places to drink coffee section.

Was a bugger of a site to use though!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:05 pm

kingseven wrote
in the places to drink coffee section.
Was a bugger of a site to use though!

If the word "award" appears in the title, they would be grouped together easily - anyone using the TMC search engine under 'places to drink coffee' would find them.
QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:14 pm

espressomattic

Previous

Return to Places to drink coffee