Fastest shot in the East (of London)

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Fastest shot in the East (of London)

Postby hairy.bob » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:47 pm

While waiting for the driving licence theory test I went for a coffee at a cafe (name escapes) in More London Place near London Bridge station
- Beans ground fresh through a Mazzer (doser tho')
- Single espresso pulled in 6 seconds :shock:
- tasted: actually, not too bad and better than *$

Oh, and it did the trick 'cos I passed :D :o

- anyone seen faster?
La Pavoni Professional
Generic Glass FP
Moka Pot
Mazzer Mini E
hairy.bob

Postby KevinH » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:22 pm

I counted 7 seconds today from the *$ consesion at work today, this was using a lovely LM Swift autodose and tamp grider, LM 3 group, plus the totaly clueless staff, though the girls did kiss each other whilst the shot was gushing out! I don't buy / drink the crap to know how it tastes.

Kevin.
Last edited by KevinH on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinH

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:22 pm

And you didnt send it back bob, tut tut Kingseven will be after you :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby monkey66 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:42 pm

I had a 4 second double from a Costa on the M6 toll...undrinkable
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:18 am

Good grief, it's stunning that it even appeared through the p/f in such a short time :shock:. Would imagine it's harder to pull a shot that fast than it would be to create at least some resistance to water with the grind. Amazing :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby hairy.bob » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:19 pm

Steve said:
And you didnt send it back bob, tut tut Kingseven will be after you

Torn between the need for caffiene (this is the first test I've sat in 20+ years) and amazement I sipped - OK, it was no espresso, the body was closer to moka pot or v. stong drip like you get at Monmouth but darn it all, it didn't taste bad at all - so much so that I went back an had another after the test (18 seconds this time). Oh and it was cheap - under UKP 1 I think.
La Pavoni Professional
Generic Glass FP
Moka Pot
Mazzer Mini E
hairy.bob

Postby monkey66 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:57 pm

The place was packed, 20 people in line and this teenage girl baning out drinks every 10 seconds....coffee everywhere...no tamping to speak of.....by the time I saw the mass it was too late (had already paid) but when I saw the instant pour and the crap everywhere I knew how bad it was going to be...took a sip for the experence and left the rest.
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby zapty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:15 pm

Jeeezzz, these stories are enough to put a coffee lover in to a serious depression, lighten up guys and tell some stories about the good experiences, for heavens sake.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:46 pm

What is a "good experience"? :cry:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:06 pm

All the things that happen at home normally :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:27 pm

Steve wrote:All the things that happen at home normally :)

Amen 8)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby BazBean » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:38 pm

plus the totaly clueless staff, though the girls did kiss each other whilst the shot was gushing out!

Now i Love Coffee and i mean, really adore the stuff, but watching girls kiss OR watching an espresso pour ..!!!!... no competition. :oops: 8)
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:20 pm

BazBean wrote:
plus the totaly clueless staff, though the girls did kiss each other whilst the shot was gushing out!

Now i Love Coffee and i mean, really adore the stuff, but watching girls kiss OR watching an espresso pour ..!!!!... no competition. :oops: 8)

Yeah coffee wins hands down. ;)

Anyway I went to Costas in Northampton and dared a double. No girls kissing but a 20 second pour, ok the machine was on auto and I could see it blonding for a good 5 seconds. But actually not bad, OK not great coffee, but I stood upstairs and sipped and said aloud 'Oh!!!' in surprise that it was OK coffee. And then there is my local which is just ace BTW. :)
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:50 pm

Costa can be surprisingly ok at times, but conversely they get it horribly wrong sometimes. Back to the old "is it better to have large chains serve all of the time average but consistent superauto coffee that will never be all the beans could be, or take your chance manual coffee that can be pretty good sometimes but is as likely to be truely awful most of the time?".
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Actually I'd rather take my chance...see another post on another thread.

But it is symptomatic of the coffee scene in general. I am wanting to be cantankerous, but the wine beateth me!!!

Edit: I have just had a look at Costa web site and if they really are as 'passionate' about coffee as they make out, a challenge, in the right way, would not be out of order....I think I just posted this on the wrong thread....who cares!
espressomattic

Return to Places to drink coffee