Good espresso/coffee in Bern?

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Good espresso/coffee in Bern?

Postby kingseven » Wed May 17, 2006 1:12 pm

Instead of traipsing round and suffering loads of dodgy caffe creme, can anyone recommend a cafe or somewhere in Bern. I may have some time tomorrow and on Saturday to wander round a bit.....

(Its great here - will keep regular updates going on the blog)
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby roadman » Wed May 17, 2006 4:52 pm

Here are my 2 favorites.

Lorenzini
Hotelgasse 10
http://www.lorenzini.ch/en/home.asp

Kornhaus c a f é
Kornhausplatz 18

Lorenzini has the most consistent espresso and the room is lovely.
Kornhaus is also decent. Both are in the old town.

It goes without saying that what you get depends on the people pulling the shots. I never had a bad shot at either place though.

Jonathan
roadman

Postby Beanie » Wed May 17, 2006 11:40 pm

Fantastic Jonathan, thanks :) I'm staying in the old town and had seen Kornhaus... will pop into both tomorrow :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby lukas » Sat May 20, 2006 9:38 pm

I just have been to Lorenzini. Easily the worst shot I've had in Bern (too hot, bitter and sour at the same time ... sadly), but the personnel was very kind :)

At the Kornhauscafe I had a quite good shot. More like a short coffee than an espresso, but it had the right temperature and tasted pretty good.

Somebody should tell the people in switzerland that tampers and flushingcycles exists for a reason ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Sat May 20, 2006 10:51 pm

Hey Lucas, it takes years of practice to do too hot, bitter and sour all at once. You should appreciate their art :lol: . Hope you are having a fab time in Bern despite Lorenzini :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Sat May 20, 2006 10:56 pm

The sad truth is that even the shots from Lorenzini were better than many you get in Bielefeld ... at least I didn't taste the leftover-mud from previous shots!
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Sat May 20, 2006 11:07 pm

Oh lovely :( . I feel sorry for you lot at the "coffee convention", when the rest of us are enjoying home roasted delights back at home :wink: . When you see Beany tomorrow please tell her that we are missing her abuse on the forum. Hope you have your ear plugs handy with her and Mr L screaming their heads off! :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Sun May 21, 2006 2:53 am

Thanks for feeling sorry for us SpaceyCakes... Yeah, can you imagine our despair at you lot at home enjoying home roasts... while all we get here is at the Mercanta/London School of Coffee booth serving up Hasbean's Premium Espresso Blend ;) My first shot of the conference was pulled by Anette :D I haven't even had coffee anywhere else :P :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Sun May 21, 2006 5:42 pm

Tarts the lot of you! Pah :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Sun May 21, 2006 8:39 pm

what was cool was my Harar on the clover !!!! I have a photo of the table with Intelligensia, Stumptown and my coffee all on the same table with the clover in the background !

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Sun May 21, 2006 9:56 pm

Steve, it didn't only look good on that table, it tasted like nothing I ever had before. But I told you this already ;), just for the rest of you: blueberry in your face! I wasn't able to sense other things at all (was it even coffee? !!), but that's due to my excitement! Love the Clover. I think I'll be wearing the shirt they gave me every day from now on ;)
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Steve » Sun May 21, 2006 10:02 pm

Clover told me there is one on order for the uk but wouldnt tell me where. I can have one in september if I save my pennies up

I have a t shirt but its a little tight :(

Steve
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Sun May 21, 2006 10:46 pm

Ah, back to Kornhauscafe - I got a couple of shots there, and they were quite ok. A bit on the lower side of the temperature-range, so a bit sure. But not too hot, which was a surprise and I quite liked them!
Just the prices ... but what do I complain, it's Switzerland. Just pay your 6SFR for a double.
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Mon May 22, 2006 1:05 am

Show us the picture then Steve! :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Mon May 22, 2006 10:00 am

Ok then, I will :)
Attachments
The Clover.jpg
The Clover.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
Steve
Founder Member

Next

Return to Places to drink coffee