The Starbucks Bean to Cup Experience

Is it actually possible to find a good shot?

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Sun May 14, 2006 9:45 pm

GeorgeW wrote:
Davec wrote:
GeorgeW wrote:
zapty wrote:I wish I could spend a few evenings with you George, telling stories, having a cuppa and a few nips and laughing my head off.
Might just have to plan a trip on down to kilt country..

You should do that, but remember to bring an umbrella.

Ahh, unless he has his teeth in...then you won't need it :wink: :roll: :lol:

Well...yeah..that's true and I'm hoping he won't mind damp cushions given my little problem. :oops:

I heard it wasn't that little :shock: :wink: :lol: and you can read that whichever way you want! :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby zapty » Mon May 15, 2006 5:59 am

C'mon guys, leave poor old George alone. He is brave enough to confess (some of) his problems and I know (as an ex military intelligence officer) what (physical and mental) problems you all are not confessing. So give the guy a break (o). By the way George did you get that container shipment of adult diapers in yet?
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby GeorgeW » Mon May 15, 2006 9:53 am

zapty wrote:C'mon guys, leave poor old George alone. He is brave enough to confess (some of) his problems and I know (as an ex military intelligence officer) what (physical and mental) problems you all are not confessing. So give the guy a break (o). By the way George did you get that container shipment of adult diapers in yet?

I am pretty brave aren't I?
I think this may be my military background whereby there was no choice but to carry my wet mattress across the parade ground to be exchanged at the Quartermasters store. As you can imagine this requires real pluck.

And, yes, the shipment has arrived and I am now properly pampered. :wink:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby GeorgeW » Mon May 15, 2006 9:56 am

zapty wrote:C'mon guys, leave poor old George alone. He is brave enough to confess (some of) his problems and I know (as an ex military intelligence officer) what (physical and mental) problems you all are not confessing. So give the guy a break (o). By the way George did you get that container shipment of adult diapers in yet?

My God Zapty...the army must have changed some from my day when the terms "military" and "intelligence" were mutually exclusive. :wink:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby zapty » Mon May 15, 2006 10:03 am

I should have known that you would understand but don't forget we are talking about the Dutch army now, they are known for it's uncompromising intelligence and diligence and are feared the world over..
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby stigin » Wed May 17, 2006 10:38 pm

Well belgium may suck for decent coffee but at least we have two things:
- No $tarbucks
- Constant quality everywhere...
life's too short to drink bad coffee! Image
HasBean Beans -> Caffe Rosto -> Rocky Doserless -> Miss Silvia -> Me -> Grindenstein + Pallo
stigin

Postby zapty » Thu May 18, 2006 5:47 am

You guys have the world famous (in Belgium) Rombouts who invented the little throwaway personal plastic drip coffee holders that are omnipresent everywhere in your beautiful country.
zapty

Postby stigin » Thu May 18, 2006 9:30 am

zapty wrote:You guys have the world famous (in Belgium) Rombouts who invented the little throwaway personal plastic drip coffee holders that are omnipresent everywhere in your beautiful country.

Image I forgot about these. Image
HasBean Beans -> Caffe Rosto -> Rocky Doserless -> Miss Silvia -> Me -> Grindenstein + Pallo
stigin

Postby Davec » Thu May 18, 2006 11:28 am

stigin wrote:
zapty wrote:You guys have the world famous (in Belgium) Rombouts who invented the little throwaway personal plastic drip coffee holders that are omnipresent everywhere in your beautiful country.

Image I forgot about these. Image

Introduced a generation of 70s wannabes to "real" coffee. In restaraunt menus they even used to "boast" that they had Rombouts Coffee....ahh, those were the days of innocence.

They came out a little before the "coffee bag" about 3 times the size of your average tea bag. Had to steep it in "hot not boiling" water for about 5 minutes to get a jug of something truly horrible. They were even briefly advertised on TV, with the now "de rigueur " sound of nose flutes in the background.....heady stuff :wink:
Davec

Postby Steve » Thu May 18, 2006 12:20 pm

In some part of this fine county staffordshire there are some restraunts that still boast about Rombouts
Steve
Founder Member

Postby stigin » Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm

Davec wrote:Introduced a generation of 70s wannabes to "real" coffee. In restaraunt menus they even used to "boast" that they had Rombouts Coffee....ahh, those were the days of innocence.

They came out a little before the "coffee bag" about 3 times the size of your average tea bag. Had to steep it in "hot not boiling" water for about 5 minutes to get a jug of something truly horrible. They were even briefly advertised on TV, with the now "de rigueur " sound of nose flutes in the background.....heady stuff :wink:

WTF, coffee bag? Do these still exist ? Never seen that before.
stigin

Postby zapty » Thu May 18, 2006 5:42 pm

Nose flutes? That wouldn't be another of Georges specialities would it? Or do I have it confused with bragpipes?
zapty

Postby BazBean » Thu May 18, 2006 6:28 pm

WTF, coffee bag? Do these still exist ? Never seen that before

Pulled out of underground storage after 30 years and labeled "Senso Pods" was a great way to use up stockpile.....
:lol: :wink:
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Davec » Thu May 18, 2006 6:42 pm

Yeah....it's not one of my jolly japes, they really used to do coffee bags, like a tea bag, but with two important differences.

1. They were quite a bit larger
2. They brewed a cup of crap (unlike the tea bag, which although generally is not great is at least drinkable)

I am talking about your everyday tea bag here....before any TMCer who either sells some high quality thing (with gold plated tea inside), or buys his from Fortnums and masons for 10 quid a box, starts complaining :wink:
Last edited by Davec on Thu May 18, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davec

Postby AlanP » Thu May 18, 2006 6:43 pm

Oh yes, they still exist.
Coffee bags
How bean suppliers can survive with competition such as this I'll never know :)
Alan
Zaffiro (sold) - Cona - AeroPress
Rocky - IRoast (I ruined it) - Hottop
Now mainly use French Press
AlanP

PreviousNext

Return to Places to drink coffee